Confused about firmware version when updating Taranis X9D+2019

Allan Bennett

Every time I use OTX Companion it prompts me that there's a new version available, so today I decided to install it -- v.2.3.14.  I've also downloaded the 2.3.14 SD card and saved it to my laptop, but when I go into OTX Companion to flash the firmware to my transmitter it tells me that the version will be 2.3.12-otx(1eddde1f) variant 219 date & time 2021-06-14 23:52:14. Shouldn't it be 2.3.14, the same as Companion?

My transmitter shows that it's currently using version 2.3.11-otx (4328055e) dated 2021-01-08 23:44:58, and until today my Companion version was 2.3.13.  So is the OTX transmitter firmware normally 2 versions behind Companion, or was that just me not having updated my trannie?

Edited by Allan Bennett

I've read elsewhere about internal RF being off by default.  But why is my Companion 2.3.14 telling me that it will flash firmware 2.3.12?  Do I need to download firmware 2.3.14 onto my laptop from somewhere first?  All I can find when I search for OTX 2.3.14 transmitter firmware is 2.3.14 Companion.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by Allan Bennett

First check that you have the right radio profile selected, next the on the menu line select 'Help' then 'Check for updates'.  Usually the OpenTX file is downloaded automatically if you have selected the right TX profile after updating Companion but you can give it a nudge. 

If not running as 'Administrator' when downloading and saving the OpenTX update I've had to save it in documents, no doubt something I've messed up in permissions.  If you get this, check where you've saved the download and use the 'load' button to point the updater to the correct file.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob.  I do have the correct radio profile selected, and I'll go through your suggested procedure this afternoon.  When I updated OTX Companion yesterday it all happened automatically, and I don't remember being prompted for a location for any specific file -- just the overall prompt at the beginning of the download at which it said I don't have permission to use the default location so it suggested my personal "abenn" folder.  Sounds like I need to find that folder and then point Companion to it.

I'm obviously missing a trick somewhere!  I've deleted and reinstalled OTX Companion v2.3.14, and am now running it in administrator mode.  But when I go to 'Help' and 'Check for updates' it says 'No updates available at this time'.  When I then go to 'Write firmware to radio' it's still offering me only v2.3.12, and if I click on the 'load' button to point the updater to the correct folder, it doesn't find any valid OTX file either in it's default folder or in the folder where it said Companion was being installed.

I've been to the OTX web site downloads page, and it quite clearly shows v2.3.14 as the latest version, but the only dowloads I can find for v2.3.14 are for the SD Card content and for OTX Companion -- clicking on the 'OpenTX 2.3.14' link on the page only takes me to a page of notes about the new release, and the links to the SD Card content and Companion.

Is OTX Companion supposed to automatically bring the corresponding OTX trannie firmware with it when it's installed and/or updated, or am I supposed to find it somewhere else and download it manually?

Edit:  Just out of curiosity I've now selected my other radio profile (for an X9D+ transmitter), and when I go to write new firmware to it, it offers me 2.3.13, and can't find any other file using the 'Load' button.  Companion is still v2.3.14.  Checking that trannie, it tells me it's currently on v2.3.11 -- the same as the X9D+2019 trannie that's the original subject of this query.

Edited by Allan Bennett
More info

Problem solved.  I've discovered that OTX Companion does not automatically bring the corresponding OTX files with it when you install it.  The files (otx and SD Card) matching the Companion version number and radio profile are loaded using File > Download in Companion.  Having done that, Write Firmware to Radio will then automatically display the correct OTX version.

Did it select the 2.3.14 X10S OTX firmware version Bob, or some earlier one like my problem?  When I had only one FrSky Tx and, hence, only one profile, I think I remember that an update was quite straightforward -- upgrade Companion, then accept the offer to update the Tx, and job almost done.  Maybe Companion gets confused when we have more than one profile?

4 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

Did it select the 2.3.14 X10S OTX firmware version Bob, or some earlier one like my problem? 

It picked the 2.3.14 version by default when I selected 'write firmware' for either tx Allan, so I don't think it's to do with having multiple profiles.  I'll have to dig out my X9D to try that one too.

Edited by Bob Cotsford