BAN on Model gliding on Dartmoor

Wookman

51 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Was there anything on dog walking ? Untrained loose dog's running willy nilly in the countryside are a pain in the proverbial both for livestock and wildlife.

Only during the Lambing season 

14. BYELAW 10 DOGS
(iii)  Between 1 March and 31 July each year all dogs have to be kept on a short lead of no more than 2 metres in length

8 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Only during the Lambing season 

14. BYELAW 10 DOGS
(iii)  Between 1 March and 31 July each year all dogs have to be kept on a short lead of no more than 2 metres in length

The 'all dogs' is a problem.

As it happens I've TRAINED my dog to walk at "heel", to stay "close", to run "off" and to "come" exactly and consistently to my command.  If we're in the proximity of sheep, cattle, horses, runners, cyclists or vehicles, I keep him at heel until we're well clear.  When he's otherwise off running he knows (because I've trained him!) to remain within my eyesight, and he comes immediately to my voice or whistle recall.  He also knows exactly what the "leave!" command means, as well as "down" and "stay".  This means that I have a high degree of confidence that he's under full control even though there isn't a lead in sight.

We've both worked extremely hard on this regime for the last two years so that, as a high-energy breed, he can get the extensive running he needs every day - in countryside dominated by sheep, horses and during the breeding season ground-nesting birds.  To have to confine him to lead-only walks for five months of the year would be a cruelty and disastrous for his physical and mental health.

I appreciate that the majority of dogs are not trained to this level, but for the minority of properly trained dogs to have to suffer under the blanket edict of a "2m lead" is disproportionate when they are effectively under full control.

PS:  Although this dog-stuff isn't directly relevant to model gliding (which I also do, both slope and thermal), it is indicative of the hugely draconian nature of the whole consultation document.  I've submitted my responses online.

Edited by Jonathan M
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jonathan M said:

Although this dog-stuff isn't directly relevant to model gliding (which I also do, both slope and thermal), it is indicative of the hugely draconian nature of the whole consultation document.  I've submitted my responses online.

Like I said, something in there to upset most people!

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 15:16, MattyB said:

For info on flying in the Peaks I would suggest you contact the SSA and the Leek and Moorland Club. There have been issues at Callow Bank in the recent past, but this post from 2020 indicates there is still access, and there are lots of sites in the Peaks that have been used for a long time.

Many thanks for the tips, Matty, I've acted on them, but I would still like to hear from other National Park users.

• 3 weeks later...

Each time, over the years that a complaint causes close scrutiny of our club activities via the law makers,

My statement includes, that we are recognised by UKSport.

Our average age is 69, and this gets us out into the fresh air.

Our members medical histories are wide and varied, but we get a positive gain from human interaction outdoors, and exercise.

I don't hear from them again for quite some time.

Edited by Denis Watkins
  • Like 1

May I also add that we have a number of school age children in our club and most are involved in building models. Suddenly many aspects of their education become very apparent. Recently we applied to a local charity for a grant to buy a ride-on mower. They were amazed at the social and educational aspects of our club and we were awarded the grant.

Rob

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to fill in the DNPA survey.

The survey will close on 1st November, so that leaves this weekend as the last opportunity to contribute.

Can anybody who hasn't done the survey PLEASE take 10 minutes out of your weekend to fill it in. Even if you have never flown on Dartmoor or have any any intention of ever doing so PLEASE fill in the survey. If this is allowed to happen to Dartmoor model glider pilots, how long will it be before it happens to you?

Here is the link to get you started https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/who-we-are/byelaws-consultation

Please refer to the opening post for the context of the current situation.

• 3 months later...

Update on the situation with repsect to the revision of the Dartmoor national park authority bylaws.

DNPA have recently released the following:

Work continues on review of Dartmoor's byelaws

Dartmoor National Park Authority has today provided a progress update on work to update Dartmoor’s byelaws.

On 3 September 2021 a report was taken to Authority seeking approval to launch a review of the current byelaws. At that meeting, Members approved the proposals, including a formal consultation with the public and stakeholders. 

The six-week consultation, which closed in November 2021, attracted nearly 4,000 responses, which a team of National Park Officers have been carefully analysing.

Dr Kevin Bishop, Chief Executive of Dartmoor National Park Authority, said: “We’re committed to ensuring Dartmoor has an updated set of byelaws which are fit for purpose, seek a consistent approach where appropriate to do so, and help protect the National Park in years to come.

“We appreciate that people will want to know what’s going on and that’s why we felt it was important to provide this review update. We’re carefully and methodically working through all of the responses received. This is time well spent and is critical to the decision-making process and will continue into February.

“Further work will then be informed by impact and sustainability  assessments, evidence and legal advice. In view of this, we’re not yet in a position to schedule a firm date for when proposals will go to Authority. We hope it will be this summer, but it is still too soon to know whether that is possible. 

“However, we will continue to keep people updated as we go. While the review remains in progress, it’s important that everyone continues to respect the current byelaws. In doing so, you’re helping to ‘leave no trace, give nature space’ and are protecting this special landscape for everyone to enjoy.”

So for the time being we carry on as before. The operation of unpowered model aircraft is permitted within the National Park. The operation of powered model aircraft or drones generally remains prohibited.

1 hour ago, Wookman said:

Update on the situation with repsect to the revision of the Dartmoor national park authority bylaws.

DNPA have recently released the following:

Work continues on review of Dartmoor's byelaws

Dartmoor National Park Authority has today provided a progress update on work to update Dartmoor’s byelaws.

On 3 September 2021 a report was taken to Authority seeking approval to launch a review of the current byelaws. At that meeting, Members approved the proposals, including a formal consultation with the public and stakeholders. 

The six-week consultation, which closed in November 2021, attracted nearly 4,000 responses, which a team of National Park Officers have been carefully analysing.

Dr Kevin Bishop, Chief Executive of Dartmoor National Park Authority, said: “We’re committed to ensuring Dartmoor has an updated set of byelaws which are fit for purpose, seek a consistent approach where appropriate to do so, and help protect the National Park in years to come.

“We appreciate that people will want to know what’s going on and that’s why we felt it was important to provide this review update. We’re carefully and methodically working through all of the responses received. This is time well spent and is critical to the decision-making process and will continue into February.

“Further work will then be informed by impact and sustainability  assessments, evidence and legal advice. In view of this, we’re not yet in a position to schedule a firm date for when proposals will go to Authority. We hope it will be this summer, but it is still too soon to know whether that is possible. 

“However, we will continue to keep people updated as we go. While the review remains in progress, it’s important that everyone continues to respect the current byelaws. In doing so, you’re helping to ‘leave no trace, give nature space’ and are protecting this special landscape for everyone to enjoy.”

Translation of Mr Bishops lengthy exposition... "This is the bit where we look busy pretending to review the comments before largely ignoring anything contrary to our original proposals".

Sorry, but I have seen this play out so many times before; so often these consultations are done primarily to met a legal requirement to do so, not capture and incorporate a wider set of views. All they really do is set a stage for the next phase where bodies like the BMFA have to get involved to provide evidence based counters and/or formal legal challenges that are not really possible for us to do as private individuals.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Its the wild birds on Dartmoor that get my goat.  They nest willy nilly amd trip.me.up, they screach and caw which scares me, they fly up flapping their feathery wings without warning or heed and frankly its a disgrace.  The birds on Dartmoor should be gassed.

And the grass and heather...dont get me started on the grass and Heather.  A health and safety nightmare.  

See my cheek bulge?  Thats my tongue that is.

I am waiting to see how they respond to the search and rescue tests performed using a personal jet-pack.

Will the rescuers have to get permission from the respective land owner prior to approval by DNPA because being a non-allowed powered craft is going to contravene quite a few bye-laws.  Will it end up quicker just to send out the usual search party?

• 8 months later...

An update from our local paper today in Newton Abbot aboout the Byelw revisions proposed.

"among other measures the revised byelaws will include:

No person in charge of a dog shall cause or allow it to be exercised on Access Land other than under effective control and, if directed to do so by a Ranger, must keep the dog on a lead.

No person shall operate a powered model aircraft or drone on or over Access Land unless they are authorised to do so in writing by the Authority."

There is no mention of gliders or kites etc so perhaps the have quietly dropped that threat.

Our local council get around RC flying on a beach ( are dunes part of a beach ) by stating that the use of radio equipment ( meaning boom boxes I think ) is not allowed.

Still trying to get a copy of the up to date bye laws, not available to view in the public library...

When I enquired about local bye laws directly to the council they said " what do you want to know for....?"

Is a kite used on a public beach potentially capable of killing someone ?