Model Flying Clubs and Dogs

12 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Well I generally speak up If there are problems at field, so on that stand point. What does FOD mean ? Bare in mind the RCME has it's own Bible the CoC, put my mind at ease please.

FOD = Foreign Object Damage, a term used in military aviation in particular, to describe any object on an airfield (litter, parts fallen off aircraft and vehicles etc.) which shouldn't be there and may cause damage or distraction resulting in an accident.
The only Concorde to crash was damaged by a 'foreign object' which fell of an earlier aircraft that used the same runway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

FOD = Foreign Object Damage

More recently, throughout the industry, also Foreign Object Debris.

aka rubbish that shouldn't be there.

Which can be present anywhere of course. Including on the airfield. But also dirt inside your fuel tank or a stray bit of foam getting in the way of a control link or a strand of copper finding its way into some electrics or whatever.

On the same theme, But slightly larger, My old flying field was playing fields where we had flown for many years and at each of three entry points there were signs saying NO HORSE RIDING, Guess what we got , young ladies( i use the word lightly) were wont to come galloping across from the blind side whilst on landing approach. When it was pointed out they shouldn´t be there they usually replied that we shouldn´t either.

8 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

should of course be Foreign Object Debris

It's both Debris and Damage.

17 minutes ago, wingcoax said:

When it was pointed out they shouldn´t be there they usually replied that we shouldn´t either.

Surprise me... Was it in fact the case that you were allowed to be there?

19 hours ago, Nigel R said:

It's both Debris and Damage.

Surprise me... Was it in fact the case that you were allowed to be there?

Yes, We had permission from not long after the war to fly model aircraft on the site.  ALSO we had "Permission of lawful use" granted by the local council solicitors.

• 3 months later...

Just coming in to land my MPX 330S this afternoon, and ended up getting chased by a large dog (the model, not me)!  The dog was clearly determined to get hold of the model, as in abandoning the landing to go around, said dog continued to follow the low flying model around the field. Catch 22, I had to land as my timer had sounded and I knew I would be low on battery, and yet I didn't know what the dog would do to the model once on the ground.

After much shouting from me the dog was captured, and somewhat unsettled, I made a hasty and rather inelegant landing - fortunately with no damage.

Apparently the dog owner did apologise to club members nearby, although I didn't hear them.

First time in over 20 years of flying that it's ever happened to me, but quite unnerving at the time!

• Like 1