EDF Lidl Glider RC Build - plus BRILLIANT maiden flight! My first attempt at an EDF rc plane.

Bonzo Moon

10 hours ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Well done Bonzo. Oddly enough have just put a 70mm EDF in the Vulcan you shared with me some time ago. 4s power!!

Great idea!  Funnily enough I'm considering doing the same, either with the Vulcan or with my foamboard F22. I'm still trying to figure out the design.

I want to make it simpler and lighter than that Vulcan.

Or I might do it with my Lidl nose Vulcan.

Any chance you could post a pic or video of your Vulcan job please?

This was my redesign of the Flight Test f22. It's less heavy has a more simple nose end.  It flies well but don't think I have video of the maiden.

Nice job Bonzo.

A few years ago I did a similar conversion using a cheap 50mm EDF unit from Hobby King.  To keep the ESC away from the Rx and to keep it cool I mounted it on top of the fuselage - not as neat as yours though.

I'm guessing that EDF efficiency has improved since then.  Although mine flies ok it's certainly got no where near the power you would think from the noise it makes! It also goes through an 850mAh 3s battery in less than 3 minutes.

If I made another one I think I'd remove the dihedral though, as the roll rate is a little on slow side.

IMG_20190702_161021759_HDR.thumb.jpg.db8a46d76c3bdf9c9b2d58b6fb899077.jpg

23 minutes ago, John T said:

Nice job Bonzo.

A few years ago I did a similar conversion using a cheap 50mm EDF unit from Hobby King.  To keep the ESC away from the Rx and to keep it cool I mounted it on top of the fuselage - not as neat as yours though.

I'm guessing that EDF efficiency has improved since then.  Although mine flies ok it's certainly got no where near the power you would think from the noise it makes! It also goes through an 850mAh 3s battery in less than 3 minutes.

If I made another one I think I'd remove the dihedral though, as the roll rate is a little on slow side.

Yes, they suck the battery!  And good idea to mount ESC on the outside. I considered it but couldn't think of an easy, tidy way to do it. Yours is in a good position there.

I didn't try a roll and didn't try it at high rates, but was thinking last night of taking out the dihedral to make it roll better. As you say, dihedral isn't good for rolling.  The dihedral did make it very easy to fly though, it flies itself.

I think at half throttle with a bit of gliding or soaring flight time might be near 10 mins.  I haven't tried it with the 800 mA 3s yet. As I said test flight was with just a 480 mA 3s. It got very warm.

My first Lidl was a yellow one as in the picture. That looks pretty tidy to me!