RB-20 Redundancy Hub & Its Receiver

Andy J

Intend to buy a RB20 hub for a large petrol powered model given that the model has a requirement for 9 or possibly 10 servo outputs. Intend to use the hub with a RX8R Pro Rx as the primary input but what does the group suggest as a secondary receiver?

@Andy JoyceSince I changed over to the redundancy bus with dual frequency RXs I've not had a single issue. So changing to the Pro Rx was obviously the first correct thing that I did, the R9 Rx is just belt, braces, jockstrap etc!. The old X8R RXs are still providing excellent service in my leccy and glow models. To be honest I'm gradually moving to glow rather than petrol now so, for me, it's going to be less of an issue anyway.

Edited by Ron Gray

Well Ron it took me some time to find from the OFCOM site that the 868MHz band is indeed legal for airborne use under "Non-specific short-range devices legislation" but only with a transmitter power of 25mW which the FRSKy module does comply with for 8/16ch with telemetry. Turning off the telemetry increases the output power significantly so the module would then not be compliant with UK legislation.

Interestingly the LMS and the BMFA web sites as far as I could find makes no mention of the use of 868MHz for model control.

Edited by Andy Joyce

35 minutes ago, Andy Joyce said:

Well Ron it took me some time to find from the OFCOM site that the 868MHz band is indeed legal for airborne use under "Non-specific short-range devices legislation" but only with a transmitter power of 25mW which the FRSKy module does comply with for 8/16ch with telemetry. Turning off the telemetry increases the output power significantly so the module would then not be compliant with UK legislation.

Interestingly the LMS and the BMFA web sites as far as I could find makes no mention of the use of 868MHz for model control.

The latest BMFA handbook is now an on-line handbook, and the 868 MHz band is mentioned:-

https://handbook.bmfa.uk/annex-b/7-rc-technical-info

At least one other (European) manufacturer offers that frequency in its equipment.

Dick

2 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

In my case, as the R9 is the ‘prime’ Rx and provides the telemetry it’s not an issue, but how anyone could or would check is another matter.

Jeti also operate with this waveband and it becomes even more accessible with the new Tandem FrSky TXs.

Edited by Ron Gray

The RB20 and RX8R connect with 3wire male to male servo type leads, not included, and the RXSR has its own 6 pin connector. This will come with a lead that will connect to the RB20 but will only be about 100mm long.

Edited by David P Williams
Correction - just checked and my RB20 came with one male to male lead, 300mm long