PB Models Tornado

Tony H

Isn’t this the old Crescent Tornado? If so it was a contemporary of schneurl ported engines back then. The Webra Speed HP Gold cup OS FSR ,Redshift and not forgetting the Irvine 61 itself.  Those were the ones we were putting in the Tornado.Ok the modern engines are a tad lighter and a tad more powerful. But be assured that us old codgers were not pottering around with Cross flow scavenged engines in the 70s. Is it the same model

I flew a Tornado (Crescent version) in the late 80s. It was powered by an HP 61 FS and then a Webra 61 Champion on a pipe.

The Irvine 61 will be a good match. Any trike retracts will be suitable - Springair, Robart and Rhom retracts sometimes come up on ebay.

Edited by Robert Welford
typo

I built and flew a Tornado back in the late 70's early 80's powered by an OS 61 FSR, again a Schneurle ported. As for retracts I had planned to install them and had actually bought a set of retracts, still have them, unused. However when planning the installation of the nose leg unit it became obvious that it would restrict the size of fuel tank that could be used and as the motor would consume 10oz fuel in a 10 minute flight the largest tank if I recall correctly that would fit would be 6 oz not really enough.

• 2 months later...