Post delivered by drone

Outrunner

Yet another trial of the technology with the usual PR spin. Presumably the island's population  gets deliveries of raw materials, food and other consumables on a regular basis, so no doubt they've managed perfectly well getting  their letters and large parcels via ferry or whatever up to now. I'm sure their important documents come through just like the majority of my insurance, bank, car stuff etc etc via internet paperless comms. Seems an expensive duplication of effort for 70 customers. Snail mail letters, flying or otherwise, are in decline (although junk mail still seems to be doing well) so I doubt if this will be a long term success. They do keep trying though.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Outrunner said:

The Post Office have started a drone delivery service to a remote Scottish island https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-58792064

Not much information but looks interesting using a twin engine, fixed wing craft on a 30 mile journey across the water and capable of flying in poor weather.

Stupid design and concept. Undercarriage, landing nicely. Why not cut the weight, launch off a catapult, catch it in a net at destination, gps dead stick the motors just before impact with the net. I’ve sailed those waters. If a boat doesn’t operate, why would a toy aircraft.

51 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Knew a fellow Coastguard who came from that way. When flying off island by air taxi the first thing one had to do was shoo the sheep off the strip for the aircraft to land :classic_smile:  Very much like our flying strip.:classic_biggrin:

When we flew back to Kathmandu from Pokara back in 1989 (our bikes were taken back by lorry) they had to shoo cattle off the runway to allow the aircraft to land.

I've not sailed off the north of Scotland but I have off the west coast and it can get quite sporty but boats can cope with bad weather far more easily than aircraft, especially models.  They have to, because it's often not an option on a long voyage.

I think they're suffering from the common desire to try out new technology just because it's there.  I've been guilty of the same in a different field

3 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Stupid design and concept. Undercarriage, landing nicely. Why not cut the weight, launch off a catapult, catch it in a net at destination, gps dead stick the motors just before impact with the net. I’ve sailed those waters. If a boat doesn’t operate, why would a toy aircraft.

it's a two-week trial.  it's undoubtedly easier & cheaper to find a bit of flattish land at each end than build catch-nets & catapults for a fortnight.

in places where they do this as a permanent operation - eg in Rwanda & Ghana - then they do exactly as you suggest.

1 minute ago, Andy C said:

Wow. Could you all embrace innovation and evolution any less?

?

personally I think they islanders should give up their powered boat deliveries - rowing boats used to work just fine before these new-fangled "diesels" came along  ?

36 minutes ago, Andy C said:

?

Just because it’s new don’t mean it’s not stupid. And I believe evolution is a one way street wot embraces you. And as a lateral thought, why not just build an unmanned submarine to do the job, they work below the wave interference, proven technology used by navies and drug smugglers the world over. Goes wrong, waits on the bottom pinging position. If a toy aircraft weighing in at a couple of hundred kilos comes down, and it causes a problem, I presume it will be owned by a shell company, like a lot of chancy shipowners, to avoid liability.

interesting

although I would guess, probably not exactly optimal answer to "move 100kg of post from hither to thither".

but interesting

Don makes a valid point, airbourne drones do have a degree of "what happens when it goes pear shaped" about them, legally and physically. I guess that's why this one is from one shoreline to another, not a lot of land and people involved.

And a Luddite was a working bloke, protecting family from starvation, caused by new technology shifting money from his pocket, into the pocket of the bloke with a 4 story house, and a dozen windows per story.

I don’t claim to be a descendant, too rich.

17 hours ago, Andy C said:

?

You mean like the promise of flying cars for everyone and electricity too cheap to meter? Evolution and innovation are great and I say bring 'em on, providing one doesn't wind up with evolutionary dead ends that one can find scattered all through past history going back to to the Dinosaurs.

It's all been tried before (Wernher von Braun and the early German rocket engineers envisaged postal delivery rockets) and although in very limited cases it can be made to work, their research money would be better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Outrunner said:

Well, I posted what I thought was an interesting 2 week trial of some useful drone technology but seems this place is full of Ludites.

It is an interesting post and thank you for posting it.

Drones and UAV’s are always going to be a “prickly” subject on here and understandably so due to recent history. But it’s good to see people pushing the boundaries and working through the gnarly bits that can’t always be predicted. Critics don’t have the monopoly on “crystal balls”. ?

thx

idd

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, IDD15 said:

Drones and UAV’s are always going to be a “prickly” subject on here and understandably so due to recent history. But it’s good to see people pushing the boundaries and working through the gnarly bits that can’t always be predicted. Critics don’t have the monopoly on “crystal balls”. ?

thx

idd

Well said IDD

49 minutes ago, IDD15 said:

thx

idd

If I recall my O level history correctly, the Luddites were facing a real and genuinely effective threat to their livelihoods, which mechanisation and the factory system turned out to be. I doubt if Ned Ludd would be bothered today over a bit of blue sky thinking and the dreams of a few fantasists funded by research £s and which will  have little or no impression on existing methods of delivering goods to the masses.

Currently, drones operating over the volcano on the island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands.

Have ensured safe evacuation with no loss of life, as the emergency services could pin point best use of resources instantly.

Having technology, ticking over, and developing in the background is no bad thing.

Edited by Denis Watkins