Painting Easycoat film covering

Basil

Can someone advise me on the subject of painting Easycoat please.

The leaflet says'Automotive acrylic enamels'. I assume that all these acrylics used in the Automotive sector are now water based!!!!!!.

If thats correct I assume that Easycote can be painted with any waterbased enamel, including those sold for domestic use.

The Easycote will of course be abraded with 240gr Oakey paper prior to painting by brush.(Brush as it seems the least messy)

Oh and while on the subject sources of brush applied camo' paints seem a bit thin on the ground.( Had a look on the net and have not found any brush applied Camo' paints for sale.They must be there some where.)

Many thanks in advance.

Bas

Edited by Basil
added source enquiry

Basil,

I wish you the very best of luck with your task.

I say that as I have found Easycoat very unfriendly to use and the colour / glue layer comes away from the film way too easily.

Even my gliders look scruffy and they have no exposure to fuel.

I now have converted to laminating film which does seem way more durable, easier to apply and far cheaper.

I have used Halfords grey plastic spray primer on Easycoat. It worked reasonably well. Then painted with Humbrol acrylics. Some small patches lifted, but I think I had not keyed it enough with sandpaper.

In this post:

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/42463-se5a-dogfight-double/&do=findComment&comment=788783

Edited by Dad_flyer
Found my old post.

Andy, as a returnee I to have been drawn to Laminating film. I am using the easycote, black, to cover some solid balsa sheet  parts, tail asy complete, prior to painting.

I was given to understand that the laminating film may distort the sheet parts on contraction , and to use the Film on those parts.( To be painted).

Bas

Guild Chroma enamels are available in a limited amount of RAF camouflage shades:

https://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Guild-Materials-Chroma-Enamel-Paint-Tins-125ml.html

Hobby Flight enamels have wider range of shades including some Luftwaffe, USAAF, USN, IJN, IJAF and RAF shades:

https://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=36_671&osCsid=4kq13atojmido9h7l2k09bn5b7

Both paints come in 125ml tins which should be ample for brush painting an average sized model. The widest range of camo shade enamels is of course Humbrol. Seems strange you haven't found those in any searches. Their tinlets are only 14ml though, so it is sometimes necessary to buy multiple tins of the same shade.

Auto motive Acrylics are solvent based paints not water based , usually supplied in aerosol cans. You can get water based automotive  base coa but I think you will have to go to a car paint factor as car accessory shops are unlikely to keep it. You could trythe Internet as many paints are available on there. Water based paints are ideal for foam especially polystyrene foam but will need a clearcoat top coat, something like Ronseal water based varnish. The EPO or EPP , expanded polyefin can be painted very successfully with automotive polyester basecoat. It adheres well and is pretty tough. Always do a test piece first.

Laminating film I've used takes paint very well. I have only used the matt variety and tested paints including artists acrylic, enamel paint like humbrol and automotive acrylic aerosol and they have all adhered well. 

I would imagine the gloss laminating film will need keying before painting.

For those who have covered or thinking of covering a model in laminating film,I have kept a test piece of framework covered in matt laminating film in our green house for nearly a year now to test for slacking etc . Still tight and no sign of any  wrinkles or UV degradation. 

• Like 1

Basil,

1st - welcome back to the sport

2nd - I can see no reason why laminating film will warp open structures more than any other heat shrink film.

I have found laminating film more tolerant to varying heat, easier to get creases out, sticks better to itself with heat and does not stick to itself without heat like some other films. Paint wise I have so far only tried Humbrol enamels which seem to stick very well to the film which I did not prepare much. I too have not seen any slacking with UV or heat and currently the broken off tail is currently under going a weathering test.

DSC00156web.jpg

IMG-20210725-web.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1