Nostalgia

kevin b

It isn't what it was. That is true, but it probably wasn't anyway !

I have noticed recently that a lot of threads tend to drift from their original post and and head towards the "good old days".

Is it because we all want to remind ourselves of our youth (vaguely tinted) ?

Is it that we find the past more interesting than the present/future ?

Or is it that there are no young people on the forum, just grumpy old gits like me ?

When we were young we had no worries about some stranger liking us on Facebook, I Don't know how we survived without H&S,  On the other hand the cars we looked back fondly on were oil dripping rust buckets that wore the engines out in 60,000 miles and had to be serviced every 3,000 miles TV's were tiny little things with lines in black and white  but we were out most of the time so that did not bother us.

Just think John, today nobody would bat an eyelid at you in your sisters clothes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, kevin b said:

It isn't what it was. That is true, but it probably wasn't anyway !

I have noticed recently that a lot of threads tend to drift from their original post and and head towards the "good old days".

Is it because we all want to remind ourselves of our youth (vaguely tinted) ?

Is it that we find the past more interesting than the present/future ?

Or is it that there are no young people on the forum, just grumpy old gits like me ?

The good old days? I remember my Nan (born 1897) saying that they might have been good for some, but her family were "half starved and lousy". Given the angst and neuroticism that the MSM will have us believe every young person is burdoned with today, I don't hold out much hope for good old days type nostalgia in the coming years.

One thing I don't miss is old style dentistry. I had a filling replaced a couple of weeks ago - no pain, no vibrating contraption with wheels and drive wires shaking your brain and pleasant non-clinical surroundings.

Edited by Cuban8

cardboard in your shoe's...when the soles worn out,no TV's only radio.a trolley made from an old pram chassis, no double glazing,no central heating...only coal fire and the front door key was hanging on a piece of string...you put your hand through letter box to get it.............and getting practically filled in at school(by the teacher's)...happy days...really...☠️ 

ken anderson...ne..1.... happy days dept.

18 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

cardboard in your shoe's...when the soles worn out,no TV's only radio.a trolley made from an old pram chassis, no double glazing,no central heating...only coal fire and the front door key was hanging on a piece of string...you put your hand through letter box to get it.............and getting practically filled in at school(by the teacher's)...happy days...really...☠️ 

ken anderson...ne..1.... happy days dept.

Did your mum collect you from school in the horse and cart Ken ?

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Having an older sister I also had hand me downs but fortunately only her bike. I seem to remember boys did wear some sort of dress but can't remember the name, it was a long long time ago.

Six hours later and I remember not a dress at all I was thinking Liberty Bodice my mum made me wear one to keep my chest warm.

See the source image

On a cold frosty morning the windows had ice on the inside, single glazed metal frames, made us get up and dress quickly in the hope mum had the fire lit.

Edited by EarlyBird

? late 1950s I got my first model a Vulcan from the paper shop. Plastic and was launched with a rubber band stretched between thumb and index finger. Looped every time invariably landing on the shed roof. Dad eventually stopped retrieving it when after a lot of practice I manage to expertly land it on the house roof. My first lesson in accepting we all crash and move on. Always been fascinated by flight three piece balsa planes from the paper shop followed. Does that mean I have been flying for over sixty years?

Hardly!

Happy days ? as long as I forget about being told off for losing my plane.?

Edited by EarlyBird
wrong date

7 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Having an older sister I also had hand me downs but fortunately only her bike. I seem to remember boys did wear some sort of dress but can't remember the name, it was a long long time ago.

There is a pic of me in the old album at about 3 years in that some sort of dress, makes my daughters laugh.:classic_blush:

Loved those Delta Darts EB, a good launch would result in a huge loop and then if lucky a second loop or it would fall off the top and settle into a steady glide. They were made of some sort of hard plastic and in the end the fin would fatigue and break away remaining in your hand on launch.

Another H & S beating toy was the catapult launch rocket, mine was a Fireball XL5. The model clipped to a base that  you stood on. A H shaped holder was then lifted above your head stretching the elastic, touch the release with your foot and it would shoot to a hundred feet or so before [ if you were lucky deploying a parachute for the return.]

My friend forgot to tilt his head back as you were supposed to to watch it go up. The smack on his chin KO'd good and proper.:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

I used to walk to school, 4 miles in 2mtr snow with socks as gloves. The milk froze and we used to put it on the heating pipes tho thaw, when the heating was working. We camped, at the age of 11 in the local woods with our dogs in the summer and left home at 8.00 and back by 5.30, again with our dogs. No H&S no brakes on our bikes, fixed wheel, or trolleys, old prams. BUT we survived, prospered and lived to a ripe old age. Good old days ?, they were taught you about life an how to survive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J D 8 said:

There is a pic of me in the old album at about 3 years in that some sort of dress, makes my daughters laugh.:classic_blush:

Loved those Delta Darts EB, a good launch would result in a huge loop and then if lucky a second loop or it would fall off the top and settle into a steady glide. They were made of some sort of hard plastic and in the end the fin would fatigue and break away remaining in your hand on launch.

Another H & S beating toy was the catapult launch rocket, mine was a Fireball XL5. The model clipped to a base that  you stood on. A H shaped holder was then lifted above your head stretching the elastic, touch the release with your foot and it would shoot to a hundred feet or so before [ if you were lucky deploying a parachute for the return.]

My friend forgot to tilt his head back as you were supposed to to watch it go up. The smack on his chin KO'd good and proper.:classic_biggrin:

Those delta wing plastic planes needed an offset launch, ie, catapult off with a bit of roll, then they spiraled (spelling?) up. And then glided well. And then you lost them. Game of tears.

I had one of those rockets, the parachute was in the hinged body, open by reduction in airspeed being unable to prevent the elastic banded opening hinge from opening. 
Re health and safety. I and mates made chemical rockets. We had a book, Victorian, firework production.  Big, powerful, big flame circles on launch. An acquaintance followed. We warned. He ignored. Blew half his left hand off. 
And mum caught me making crackles in her oven. A crackle, is the crackle light that rockets and mortars make. You wrap home made gunpowder, shellac, round metal salts, and warm. I literally though I might die. Dad was not happy either, but he was always curious. But did not pay us for dropping a tree he contracted us to cut. Clue was, roots still attached.

Knobber , one of the gang, ended up a Colonel in the Royal Engineers. 

4 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Certainly normal practice around the turn of the 19th/20th century - I’ve got a photo of my grandad (and his twin brother) wearing a sort of long smock. Apparently, around the age of 3, boys were “britched” i.e. put into trousers. 

Don, we come from the same era.

Our fuel of choice was Sodium Chlorate (weed killer before they added a fire retardant) Saturated in a solution then dip kitchen role and dry. Exposed it burnt like Saltpetre but contained ?.  15mm pipe bombs, or a musket made from steel conduit, a marble + wadding. Then we discovered how to make Anfo. A spell in the forces put this youthful exuberance to good use ?

once again,the youngins haven't lived until they have wheeled a barrow full of coal(after filling it) home in the dark nights so as your folks could keep a fire going. Delivering milk every morning before school for 5 shillings(25p) a week, and potato picking every October for a week at the local farmers field for 30 shillings(£!.50).

ken anderson...ne...1....earn a crust dept.

3 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

once again,the youngins haven't lived until they have wheeled a barrow full of coal(after filling it) home in the dark nights so as your folks could keep a fire going. Delivering milk every morning before school for 5 shillings(25p) a week, and potato picking every October for a week at the local farmers field for 30 shillings(£!.50).

ken anderson...ne...1....earn a crust dept.

Was that a time when Mothers used to stay at home, could knit, sew and turn out wonderful meals from next to nothing and only went out one night a week to go play bingo, while you were looked after by your Dad (who let you stay up late as long as you didn't tell your Mum, in order to guarantee himself a peaceful night).