Max Thrust Riot linkages

Hello All,

Today, one of our trainee pilots who I am helping to learn on a Riot had a crash. I was not at the field at the time so did not see what happened but concensus of opinion from those who know was that the elevator linkage failed caused by a weak clevis. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a suggestion as to a stronger alternative that will fit on the wire pushrods, or any other suggestions to make this stronger. I have to say, that I was originally sceptical about the Riot, but having seen a few and flown it now, I think that it is a superb trainer that can also do a bit more fun stuff with higher throws etc so it would be good to know how to make it better.

Thanks

Simon

The clevis is adequate for the job, just. What I found was that the bobble on the end of the peg broke off when unclipping to make adjustments. Fortunately, as at first I did not notice, I had used fuel tube to stop it coming undone. I bought replacements from HK and always took them to the field. I think these were the ones, it was two years ago.

Nylon Clevis 20mm (Original Color) (10pcs) (hobbyking.com)

My experience with all Max Thrust models, (Riot - both Foam & Balsa versions & Ruckus Foam & Balsa too); the clevis are just about adequate. I routinely change out for ball clevis types. If they are good enough for the demands of helicopters and all their stresses and vibrations, then a Riot should have  no problem.

Also, I found their inner metal control rods were quite stiff in their respective outer tubes. (I measured the current draw operating a servo, it was quite high and even a reasonably good quality servo i.e. 'HiTec', were merrily buzzing away as the rod linkage was sticking/not returning to start point in the outer tube run!

A quick rub over of the inner rods with 'Duraglit' metal polish then 'Pledge' silicon polish applied.

Ah ... silky smooth operation, no stalled servo or high current load on operation = accurate and precise control surface resolution

Incidentally, these kits are made by VQ, well that's what the outer shipping cartons state! 

58 minutes ago, Capt Kremen said:

Incidentally, these kits are made by VQ, well that's what the outer shipping cartons state! 

? I assumed the PO was talking about the foam riot, clarification would be good. I like ball clevis's also have you a link for ones that fit the foam riot pushrods, 1.3mm I think.

Hello Early Bird and Capt Kremen,

Thanks for the help - and to clarify, yes it is a foam Riot. I realise that with all of these things, they are built down to a price and it is worth making a few changes, but sometimes it can be difficult to find just the right change to make. In the short term, I just want to help the new flyer with some sensible advice, but I am also planning on getting one of these myself to have as a plane that I can let other beginners have a go with. For my own one, I will definitely make quite a few changes as suggested.

Thanks again,

Simon