Help needed cleaning solartex

John Minchell

I am refurbishing a solartex and glosstex covered model.  What can I clean the surface with to remove ingrained dirt & grime in the weave and also where stickers and graphics/lettering has been removed and the yellow of the tex is now a different colour.  Cillit Bang does not work, failing a clean up, what paint types stick to the surface well and what preparation is needed please?  Any help gratefully received.

TIA John M

Spray gun cleaner (cheap thinners) is as good as anything for removing oil, etc from Solartex. However it will also remove the impregnated colour, or most paints. This is fine as long as you are going to repaint the model.

When using solvents in this way it extremely important that you use a good barrier cream on your hands. Latex gloves are a waste of time !

Also be sure to work in a well ventilated space (not indoors) so that the fumes can escape quickly as they are very toxic.

I found Solartex was great with cellulose and brings it up like new with hardly any colour removal.  I did this to remove all the old fuel proofer & paint from a 30 year old model leaving a finish like a freshly covered wing. 

Beware using cellulose thinners on Oritex however as it does remove the colour much more, particularly from raised edges eg ribs. 

Edited by dave windymiller