Enya 120 4c modifying to petrol ?

Paul De Tourtoulon

Not sure, they just seem to be dead toasty. 

That said, a friend had a laser 240 in a spitfire with straight through stainless flexi pipes on it. Sadly for him, his fuel tank vent pipes were touching these headers and caught fire! Yep, the silicone tube caught fire in flight. Luckily this ultimately caused the engine to stop but i have never seen anything like that before. 

7 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Not sure, they just seem to be dead toasty. 

That said, a friend had a laser 240 in a spitfire with straight through stainless flexi pipes on it. Sadly for him, his fuel tank vent pipes were touching these headers and caught fire! Yep, the silicone tube caught fire in flight. Luckily this ultimately caused the engine to stop but i have never seen anything like that before. 

The flexipipes that I put on the Laser 200V in my S6b worried me a bit, because they are quite close to the fuel system. However, they seem to have worked out fine, in practice. The pipes are protected by thick silicone tubing where they pass through the 3D printed nylon engine fairings (which have a pretty low melting point). The first picture is with the engine running.

DSC_0808.thumb.JPG.5f740193e747a2311e6ec603e3d462b6.JPG

This second picture shows the proximity to the tanks:

DSC_0815.thumb.JPG.a538f2ae6405269f80ff33f2c3f1c152.JPG

Paul, I think I got the flexipipes (called bendy pipes) from Mick Reeves Models. (I don't seem to be able to access that site to check, because my server says it has potential viruses!)

Several short videos of the first two flights of my S6b, piloted by Ian Redshaw, appeared on (the dreaded) Facebook on Sept 12th, two courtesy of the British Waterplanes Association (one of engine tuning, second of first take-off) and one from Seaplanes Scotland of some fly-pasts on the second flight. I, and several other people, also put some photos Members New Models forum on this site.

Not a big success, even closing the idle mixture on the carb it was running a very lumpy idle like it did with it's original carb, I also

lowered the tank so that the fuel level was 2 cm below the main jet, it did improve it's idle a small amount and it's still doing 11000 rpm on the APC 14 x 7, even with my home made silencer till it decided to part company obviously the noise was too much for it, so waiting for my flexible and my friend who is making me a threaded tube to fit the exhaust nut.

Ps Rain stopped play, I will have another go Tuesday.

pps, oil everywhere so maybe when I get it going this week I will try some other fuel.

Maybe the fuel is coming out of suspension (what's the right word here?) whilst it goes along the longer intake pipe, or pooling at the valve or something, and then making it into the cylinder in dribs and drabs? It doesn't make it all the way in with one single intake cycle?

Thanks for the props and coffee David,,,

The 14.5 x 8 Bolly gave  gave some good numbers  up with the slow idle of the APC, but it did need a 1/4 of a turn on the idle jet to the lean side to get it to a stable idle as did the 16 x 8, the 16 x 8 was not so good with the idle and a bit twitchy on the main needle it also vibrated the most.

This was with my hair spray exhaust.

Silencer, What's that ??, so no pressurised fuel,,,

I put the leaning off of the carb down to when running with the laser mounting ( can I use that term Jon ? ) it spits so

not all of the fuel is going into the engine, whereas ( my thoughts ) with the Enya admission tube the fuel doesn't spit out

so much ( or not at all ) so needing less fuel.