x-RES E from Hyperflight

EarlyBird

The picture made me think you had built and covered the model since receiving the kit that morning, just joking. I have an  X-RES electro, built about 4 years ago, the electro is adapted from the towline version. Which motor are you using? I fitted the A D H300 from Hyperflight, the 1100Kv one with an 10 x 5 folding prop. It went together easily enough but you may need to translate the instructions and notes on the plan as they are all in German. Take care to get that long thin fuselage straight - a building jig would help. It wasn't easy to cram everything into the narrow fuselage, I had to rearrange things with the servos back under the wing and the battery between the E S C and the motor. Not a cheap kit but excellent wood and design because the X-RES is a great flyer. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by buster prop
Wrong prop diameter

The kit came double boxed, very strong boxes. The rolled plan is huge so the first job will be to cut it up into manageable sections.

IMG_20211021_062803.thumb.jpg.3b890abe84d6f2135281975b6fcd9a24.jpg

I also bought Blue Bird servos, they are tiny, and a motor all as recommended by Hyperflight.

WHY

I have always been intrigued by gliders and after passing my A I tried a Phoenix 2000 which went well. More recently I was given a MPX EasyStar, no ailerons, which also went well. There have been a few RES builds on here along with interest in FX-RES which has encouraged me to give it a go. This will be one more step forward in the pursuit of my dream to go Slope Soaring. ? Having said that I am not convinced that throwing my latest pride and joy off Bempton Cliffs is a good idea.? 

2 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Hi Earlybird,

I think some people lob gliders off the cliffs/hills at Filey Brigg - not far from Bempton but less intimidating!

Thanks GG. I know about Bempton because one of my LMS (Grimsby) close down for a fortnight every summer to go there to do that. 

There is an X-Res build thread on RC Groups for the non electric towline version of this model, good for about 95% of construction. The plan in my kit was in separate pieces rather than on one big sheet. I kept it in case I have to make new bits. One thing to watch out for is that the wing centre panel tapers slightly in chord so the inner ribs aren’t all the same length. The outer ones are more obvious because of the spoiler frames and holes for the alloy tubes for wing joiners. Other than that it’s all quite straightforward.

15 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Thanks GG. I know about Bempton because one of my LMS (Grimsby) close down for a fortnight every summer to go there to do that. 

Would that be Max Bradley & Co ?

I was a long time attendee at the Primrose Valley holiday week, held in early May, from it's beginnings with RCM&E sponsorship. I think Max started his on site model shop a few years into the annual event & I got to know him quite well.

Are you sure that they actually fly at Bempton ? The RSPB have a nature reserve there because of the high population of breeding seabirds, I'd be surprised if models slope soaring of the cliffs would be tolerated.

But there are some really good alternative slope soaring sites north of Bempton between Reighton Sands & Filey Brig & one or two south to Bridlington.

1050860340_FileyBrigg.thumb.JPG.06499d696da0ac8d5afc9325571ef96b.JPG

This is the model car racing organiser (& auctioneer for the end of week bring & buy) at Filey Brig. 

Reighton_1.thumb.jpg.15b144ce3cb066309eb682ca258f31fd.jpg

Reighton_2.thumb.jpg.85559fd2fa43120d2591891fc2b71ba1.jpg

A couple of typical scenes at Reighton with the cliffs at Speeton behind, judging by the types of models it was probably the day of the X-country/loops competition...

Winners.jpg.2f431b10cca030dcada0e74ee394dd1c.jpg

...with the 1st, 2nd & 3rd placers from left to right.

It was a few years before the first mouldies became generally available. 

Edited by PatMc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PatMc said:

Would that be Max Bradley & Co ?

Thanks Pat.

It certainly is.

10 hours ago, PatMc said:

Are you sure that they actually fly at Bempton ?

Not sure at all as I didn't think the RSPB would allow it. May ties up though as four years ago next May I bought my first model from Max. He probably said Bempton and I assumed Cliffs. That has cleared up one piece of confusion in my mind, plenty more to go though. ?

On 21/10/2021 at 07:58, buster prop said:

... I have an  X-RES electro, built about 4 years ago, the electro is adapted from the towline version. Which motor are you using? I fitted the ADH 300 from Hyperflight, the 1100Kv one with an 10 x 5 folding prop... It wasn't easy to cram everything into the narrow fuselage, I had to rearrange things with the servos back under the wing and the battery between the E S C and the motor.

That's exactly what I did with mine with the same power-train (although mine was a second-hand bungee-launched version which I converted to electric after a major crash following an OOS).  Shortened nose (guess-work!), removed original forward servo tray, servos then went in tandem into a new home-made tray under the wing, with the RX behind them near the TE.  Just forward of the wing LE bulkhead I managed to fit the 20A ESC against one side with double-sided tape, then the 3s 450mAh LiPo a snug fit beside it, with a balsa stop in the floor to stop it sliding forward.  Photo below shows widening of new nose area to clear the can of the ADH 300 motor, but as space was still very tight I later fitted a partial bulkhead behind it to hold the three wires clear of all moving parts!

PXL_20210520_112827069.thumb.jpeg.73a5135bb74d0e8288d923bdf18f972d.jpeg

PXL_20210601_143321644.thumb.jpeg.c302f050c3bca927e86c881414ef22fd.jpeg

PXL_20210520_160103945.thumb.jpeg.1e3e0bb665c0121a758d5eaec65aecec.jpeg

PXL_20210601_172649345.thumb.jpeg.30687d4d9a74bb577d98121f6f9db0dd.jpeg

It would be interesting to see the arrangement shown on the plan for the electro version of the X-RES.  Can you post a photo?

Having the fuselage plan on the board inspired me to make a start, on the wing.?

Centre section first.

Ribs located on the router cut sheets, but they are not numbered ? fear not as the plan includes a parts layout. Very easy to remove from the sheet as the retaining tabs have all been cut part way through, nice. The rib spar slots needed a bit of filing for the spars to fit. The middle ribs glued together and wing bolt plate fitted.

LE bottom sheet glued to the bottom spar and trial fit the ribs.

IMG_20211024_071155.thumb.jpg.e4d938493b0c49f5221d431f7296ee19.jpg

IMG_20211024_070944.thumb.jpg.577ec4c040643057c06a5e3b900b98d9.jpg

The instructions use CA which I hate so now I am working out a procedure to use wood glue, aliphatic and super aliphatic. 

The plan appears to indicate vertical shear webs can be used on one side of the spars and both sides for extra strength. German is not one of my strengths so I am not sure what it means.  It's also in English ?

IMG_20211024_071028.thumb.jpg.7cdbfdaae3b47ac8a87bd9aece5e2dfc.jpg

fit one side then.

Using white glue.

Ribs, spars and TE done. Then centre sheeting fixed using Aliphatic on joins that will be sanded.

IMG_20211024_133541.thumb.jpg.414151883270f7fd614dd377ec6f2f5f.jpg

Sheeting glued using a brush to apply then pulled up. Shear webs fitted to the front of the spars

Ready for LE

IMG_20211025_082653.thumb.jpg.b4569ad00cd0fba4c4b38aa1d67ba76d.jpg

LE glued held in place by pins and an old aileron.

IMG_20211025_084017.thumb.jpg.540c80788bbd8849a7f9eb18c79c850a.jpg

Wing tubes then top sheet, today I hope. ?

LE fitted and shaping started with the razor plane.

IMG_20211028_085902.thumb.jpg.9b234bcc30b8baf55549f76041d68035.jpg

I plane very carefully as close to the sheeting as I dare go then continue with sandpaper.

I started the wings first because the wing is needed to complete the fuselage. I am now looking at the fuselage and the first issue is that the battery will not fit as shown on the plan. This is just confirmation of what others said earlier. Looks like the servos under the wing and the battery in front of F2 in the correct place for balance. I think I will start the fuselage and while waiting for glue to dry continue carefully shaping the wing LE. My plan is once the fuselage building jig is clear I can then start Rhapsody.

My plans do often change BTW. ? 

• Like 1

Looking good! Those leading edge profiles really help. As for batteries I used Hyperion 3S 800s because I had some and they are long and narrow to fit into the front fuselage. It goes almost up to the motor and the 3 motor wires going past to the ESC are taped to one side. My X-Res balanced perfectly with those but if you use a smaller battery you might have to add some nose weight. There isn’t a lot of depth under the wing so the servos have to be small. I fitted HS55’s in offset tandem with the front one close to F2.

Thanks for the info Buster it's helping my decision making.

It's going to be a tight fit.

Sides completed. Three pictures because it is long and narrow.

Ply doublers glued in using white glue, handed as the instructions say.

IMG_20211028_162519.thumb.jpg.b0e831e3a96ae3f618d1b8361fc8148b.jpg

4x4 longerons added only on the bottom one here.

IMG_20211028_162534.thumb.jpg.9784c2caf37ff683f60b0710698df4ca.jpg

I used a piece of scrap 2mm as a gauge to locate the longerons using pins as markers.

The longerons then have the glue applied and fitted to the pins excess glue brushed away.

The gauge is then used as  a final check.

IMG_20211028_162545.thumb.jpg.f294c62302cf8db51ff5a0649457fb46.jpg

Both sides are now completed ready to be joined together. This is all following the instructions however they do not cover the motor installation.

That's good something for me to think about.?

Following the instructions I added the top deck.

IMG_20211031_094133.thumb.jpg.38707d540903b1ba0189e30470b0f861.jpg

I didn't completely follow the instructions as I forgot to place the wing mounting plate before assembly, it was upside down at the time, my excuse. ?

Not a problem as I had test fitted and adjusted the plate in the ply doubler slots and the sides had enough spring for it to pop in. There is no T nut supplied in the kit I assume the idea is to tap a 5mm thread into the ply and has more to do with saving weight than saving money. Not having a tap but having a plastic T nut I used that, replacing ply with plastic could save weight maybe.

On to the fun. Motor mounting. Is this tight?

IMG_20211031_094114.thumb.jpg.6846aa7b667371fd2e4564b2f29198c1.jpg

Barely a mm of clearance to the side ?

This is work in progress.?

Thanks John. When I fitted the motor and seeing how tight it was my initial thought was this is impossible. I then looked for the maximum clearance which is where the side and triangle meet which gave enough space for the wires and knowing others glue them in place I did the same for obvious reasons. The motor is now permanently fixed in place unless I get creative and liberate it when I fly. I accept there is only one way that the motor will be removed ?

For anyone following I would suggest reversing the motor shaft to put the wires at the back and the CF motor mount moved back, which requires a slot cutting in the right place on each side of the fuselage, easy but once again permanent.

Putting the fuselage to one side it's now back to the wings also the tail feathers will also be needed to complete the fuselage.