Flying 'Book'

ChrisH

I am too old a dog to learn new tricks but still have an enquiring mind!

On the old website, on the 'home' page I suppose it was, there was a link, or a link to a link, where someone was selling an ebook, for £9.99 I believe, I know you paid and then got the OK to download, to a guy selling a book of basically teach yourself flying.  I used to see it each time on the old site but never took the step to buying.

Now on the new website I can't find it to save my life.  Anyone remember what I am talking about and thus able to point me in the right direction?  As I said, I am not going to actually fly a model plane, but it would be nice to learn about it!

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by ChrisH

Thanks to all esp. Martin - that link to "internet way back machine" was very interesting.

Anyway, have found, somehow, don't quite know how, the link I was looking for, its to the "rc-airplane-world.com" site where the book I was looking for is to be found " The Beginner's Guide to Flying RC Airplanes".  So happy now!!

Chris

A great but dated book is Radio Control Guide by Norman Butcher published by Radio Modeller I think. I got mine from mum/dad for Christmas 1980 I still have it well thumbed.

Shows boats/cars/planes - installation (old style pre computer radio) etc. availble for peanuts on e-bay etc.

I learnt the lone flyer way in fields behind our house

image.png.ab5798c0181f3c7601571db451151b76.png

Also in my library

Slope Soaring - Dave Hughes

Thermal Soaring - George Stringwell

Scale models for everyday flying - Gordon Whitehead.

All of them read until the print came off (well you know what I mean) and all show the traditional balsa bashed models hence why I'm still hooked on aeromodelling all these years later.

Edited by Nigel Sharp
typo

You can also go to the BMFA web site, then click on the top menu bar, select 'Downloads', then select 'RC Achievement Scheme Downloads' and then .... finally ....                    'A Flying Start'.

This downloadable PDF guide, (which is revised, updated with latest info and issued annually), may assist the newcomer to model flying. It describes the various aspects of model flying including, models, radio gear, flying sites and flying itself. 

Even 'ex-spurts' may learn a thing or two!

https://achievements.bmfa.uk/

The Norman Butcher book was fine when published but is now well out of date and only available secondhand if at all.   Gordon Whiteheads book is so expensive now  (67 pounds! for a book that cost 8 pounds new) that it's really out of the question although excellent.

Instead look for beginners books by David Boddington or Peter Holland secondhand on Amazon, or books by Peter Miller new from Sarik Hobbies or Amazon.

There are no books that are up to date and therefore include 2.4 ghz and Lipo batteries as far as I know - you can only get such info online or in magazines like RCME etc.   But the Boddington, Holland and Miller books contain worthwhile info on basic aeromodelling pre Lipo and 2.4ghz..  Of course Peter Miller is on this forum most days to answer queries about his designs ( where else can you correspond with the author! )

Edited by kc