oracover, oralight, oratex

EGB 953

It does appear that Solarspan is available in Cub yellow from the website here.  Also certain other products seem available in some colours.   They also seem to be able to supply Glosstex in Cub Yellow at about 10 pounds a metre.  ( also some other colours too)   and even at that price it may be cheaper than Oratex.   Supershrink Polyester seems availble from them in Cub Yellow too, and might suit a small model.

The last info I heard was that they are just selling the remaining items and not producing any more ( I hope that's wrong! ) But in any case make sure you have enough to cover the whole model just in case supply is limited or dries up.   I see that they also sell the DVD showing how to use their products- worth buying at 2.99 although it's on Youtube if you look.   Invaluable info on that DVD if you are just starting to use these type of products.

But which product to use really depends on the type of model - a large model or one done to be true scale or one to be painted might need Solartex or similar while a small electric model might use a lighter film like Solarspan.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Oracover (and light and tex) isn't actually expensive - its just the distributors who're ripping us off by adding a colossal markup!

I use it for all my RC models but now order it from German retailers at 1/3rd of the cost (£10 instead of £30) of UK ones, sent by courrier (add another £15 but still 2/3rds of the total cost delivered even for a single roll!) in just a few days.

e.g. Oracover Cub Yellow

Edited by Jonathan M
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, EGB 953 said:

About top purchase my first kit in 20 years. Cub, am going to cover in standard cub yellow but am confused about which covering material to use. Recommendations and guidance on what the differences are would be much appreciated.

EGB you don't tell us how big your Cub is. If it's more then 5 ft/ 1.5 metres in the wingspan, I'd advise using Oratex. If it's less I'd use a film.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, David Davis said:

EGB you don't tell us how big your Cub is. If it's more then 5 ft/ 1.5 metres in the wingspan, I'd advise using Oratex. If it's less I'd use a film.

It's smaller, (1m), what is "film" and whats the difference between Oracover and Oratex?

7 minutes ago, EGB 953 said:

It's smaller, (1m), what is "film" and whats the difference between Oracover and Oratex?

Oracover, which is or was sometimes sold as Profilm in England, is an iron-on plastic covering material with a heat sensitive glue on the underside.

Oratex is an iron-on polyester fabric covering which is stronger than Oracover but it's heavier. I wouldn't use it on anything smaller than a model with a five foot (1.5 metre) wingspan.

For your small Cub I would use Oracover or Hobby King's covering film as recommended by Philip Lewis 3 above.

• Like 1

I metre is really quite small for a Cub and will be a tricky model to fly if overweight, so ensure it's built light and use a film type covering not 'tex.

Solartex is always considered much easier to use than Solarfilm as it goes around complex curves more easily.   Same would apply to other 'tex materials.   Solartex and other 'tex materials are considered to be more scale like as they are not glossy  However for a small model you really need to use film as it's lighter and Supershrink Polyester from Solarfilm would seem right as it's currently available in Cub Yellow.  

If you have not used heat shrink film or 'tex  before then be sure to watch the Solarfilm video which shows the inventor - Derek Hardman -giving all the tips you need.   It's on Youtube as well as on DVD.   It will be an hour well spent.   2 tips he gives are leave plenty of excess at wingtips to get it around the curves and don't overheat with a heatgun but use a sample to get the iron to correct temperature.   All his tips would apply to other makes too.

The HobbyKing film is fine & cheaper per metre as it's 5 m rolls. but not always in stock in many colours.  

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, kc said:

I metre is really quite small for a Cub and will be a tricky model to fly if overweight, so ensure it's built light and use a film type covering not 'tex.

Solartex is always considered much easier to use than Solarfilm as it goes around complex curves more easily.   Same would apply to other 'tex materials.   Solartex and other 'tex materials are considered to be more scale like as they are not glossy  However for a small model you really need to use film as it's lighter and Supershrink Polyester from Solarfilm would seem right as it's currently available in Cub Yellow.  

If you have not used heat shrink film or 'tex  before then be sure to watch the Solarfilm video which shows the inventor - Derek Hardman -giving all the tips you need.   It's on Youtube as well as on DVD.   It will be an hour well spent.   2 tips he gives are leave plenty of excess at wingtips to get it around the curves and don't overheat with a heatgun but use a sample to get the iron to correct temperature.   All his tips would apply to other makes too.

The HobbyKing film is fine & cheaper per metre as it's 5 m rolls. but not always in stock in many colours.  

Thanks KC!

Great advice.

I remember seeing Derek Hardman giving demonstrations of covering using Solarfilm at several Sandown shows years ago - he said much the same as in his video.   But I still found it worthwhile looking at his video online recently.   Almost a Masterclass but he makes it seem simple which it really is if you follow the simple steps shown.   Note particularly the way he leaves enough extra material ( maybe 3 or 4 inches) at wingtips etc in order to grip it and have it shrink nicely.  Check out the way he makes insignia too.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EGB 953 said:

Looks great, how easy is it to apply? And, can you brush paint it?

I use a glue stick round the edges and stick it too the frame with a heat iron, shrink the covering with the iron or a heat gun. Then give it 3 coats of non shrinking dope thinned 50/50 with cellulose thinners. A quick rub down with fine sand paper and it is ready for paint, brush or aerosol.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 19:06, kc said:

It does appear that Solarspan is available in Cub yellow from the website here.  Also certain other products seem available in some colours.   They also seem to be able to supply Glosstex in Cub Yellow at about 10 pounds a metre.  ( also some other colours too)   and even at that price it may be cheaper than Oratex.  

Don't be tempted to use Glosstex on a smaller model - while it goes on well and looks great, it is pretty heavy i.e.it's basically a heavy gloss pre-painted Solartex.