Warbirds Replicas Winter build thread.

I have started my LA-7 (pics to follow). Has anyone else building electric version decided on battery installation. I have decided ti cut a hatch in the bottom of the cowl - between F1 and F2 and secure the flight battery vertically against F1.think it will make a neat installation.

Looks like you are getting a few days headstart on me Graham, i have decided to do my LA7 as the winter build, i may well follow it up with the JU88. Mine will be electric as well, just finishing up a few jobs on the last two builds, hope to start the Lavochkin over the weekend. 

IMG_20211102_215850.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1

Some more work done on the Hurricane last night, I built the rudder post into the fuselage when building it but defeated the object when I broke it off whilst sanding the fuselage. so now I have to do it as per plan. I need to push on with it  as I have a few models to build and some repairs to the current flying wounded.

_20211103_071124[2466].JPG

• Like 3

Could anyone point me in the direction of a UK supplier for the 4250 580kv FMS Zero motor, spinner and prop (13x9 3 blade) for a La - 7?

My regular supplier of motors does not have quite the right one and with a 3 blade prop increasing the speed by 40% will not help performance in a number of areas including the curse of the magic smoke 9without changing the prop!).

Can`t find stock in the UK for the spinner, i have made enquires with two overseas suppliers about postage and delivery time, my prop from Sussex Model Centre arrived just now, only ordered it yesterday afternoon, good service. Asked about re stock on the spinners and he seemed to think there may be a delay on re supply.

39 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Can`t find stock in the UK for the spinner, i have made enquires with two overseas suppliers about postage and delivery time, my prop from Sussex Model Centre arrived just now, only ordered it yesterday afternoon, good service. Asked about re stock on the spinners and he seemed to think there may be a delay on re supply.

I'm guessing the leccy participants for LA7 will be going 3 blade? I'm going to have to stick with 2 blade for my build with a Laser 70 up front, so I've gotten hold of a 3 inch Dubro red spinner from Leeds Model Shop. Pricey at £12 odd for a plastic spinner but there you go.

David, 

Not sure why you have to have a 2 blade prop just because its a Laser! My VQ 190 and VQ Aircobra both laser 80's and have 3 blade props although the only problem is choice and noise testing. Some props are more noisy than others and/or less efficient at shifting air.

As for plastic spinners, new ones are ok, but I have had 3 or 4 old ones catastrophically fail when doing the WOT engine tune/set up. One of them the plastic backplate disintegrated which meant the prop went loose on the shaft (did not come off) so didn't move much air (bot a problem on the ground, but a bit of fun doing a dead stick if flying)!

PS -  I use the contentious use of expo on the elevator so full stick gives a good dollop elevator for take off and landing but don't find it in normal flight although rate switches work just as well.  

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

It doesn’t but the stronger alloy spinner doesn’t break and because it doesn’t it helps protect the fuse from damage!

aha! I've sourced aluminium spinners for Spit and P51 from @RICHARD WILLS, and some shiny ones from a model shop for a sport model, but can't find anything decently LA7 shaped - where do you tend to shop for them?

Richard has said he is going to produce a short run of his Spitfire kits so anyone wishing to take part in the Warbirds Winter build who doesn`t have one put your hand up now. Contact Richard Wills on this site or go to the What makes a good kit thread and say you want one, he posts regularly on there.

just to cover the 3 blade prop thing you can use a 3 blade on a laser its just that efficiency isnt that good and performance is average at best. I flew my 80 powered Hurricane on a 14x7 3 blade and it wasnt brilliant. It performs really well on a 14x7 2 blade apc though

While they look cool you cant tell how many blades its got when its running so go for the prop with the best performance. 

• Like 3

Felt adventurous today, thought I would take a look at installing the retracts. It looked a bit daunting but in the end wasn't too bad

image.thumb.png.8ece116926160d733b0339bef926dd03.png

i understand that the retract plate needs to slope towards the l/e. Is this enough?

image.thumb.png.8bfce4da70674d5a68553ce53fce8ddb.png

image.thumb.png.cdac38cfb8ca2983e9bcdbf39619616d.png

Used this hole cutter for the wheel well. As recommended in another thread cutter is used in reverse so that the teeth don't grab and rip the veneer.

IMG_7780.HEIC

• Like 2