Warbirds Replicas Winter build thread.

46 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Not too much going on tonight as other things get in the way of the build! Will update with progress tomorrow evening.

Has anyone on here built one electric yet? If so can you post pictures of your battery hatch and battery bay.

Hi Martin,

Not built an LA7, but have 2 Warbird Replicas under my belt (Tempest and a Yak3) and approached the battery box and hatch the same way. This is Richard's suggestion:

• Cut a square hole in the firewall
  • Build a 'coffin' from lightply with a ply motor mount (this has yet to be fitted in the picture)
  • Mount the motor to the mount, and the cowl and then slide the coffin around until you get a good spinner gap. Then glue it in.
  • For the hatch, cut a section of the upper decking and line each end with balsa. 4 airs of magnets hold it in place. Job's a good'un!

These pictures may help. Sorry, the pictures are terrible quality, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Graham

Tempest 220620_1.jpg

tempest 040720-2.jpg

Tempest070720-3.jpg

Update on progress on the LA7, top decking's are fitted, rear one still drying hence the use of the masking tape to pull it into the sides neatly, tailplane supports sanded to go round the stern post and also glued into position, F1 and F2 have been epoxied in. There have been a few parts so far that have needed small mods, they were not a problem but i am mentioning them on here to help those yet to build their LA7 kits. The slots in the crutch for former F3 are 7mm too far forward, i cut the tabs off F3 and moved it to the position marked on the plan which is at the rear of the wing seat, F3 needs a small amount sanded from the width as well to allow for the thickness of the fuselage ply doublers. The forward foam top decking sits too high when resting on the 1/4 square balsa, it should sit in a position just above F2 so that the cowl which sits on F2 is level with the top decking. I sanded the bottom of the foam decking slightly to get the position right, the picture shows it sitting just proud of F2. Tomorrow i will work on the rear fin support and control snakes so that the fuselage bottom can go on.

IMG_20211116_205339_resized_20211116_091219749.jpg

IMG_20211116_205321_resized_20211116_091220491.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1

Hi Martin great detailed build thread that you have started, by the looks of it this kit goes together very quickly and accurately. It will be a great help to people that have or want one in the future to build. I am hoping to join a new club in the new year that will allow me to fly bigger planes like this one which I will also be going electric. I am Definitely following along.

Cheers

Dan

Great progress Graham i bet those wing tips made some shavings! Made a pile of my own this evening working on the fin fillets, the instructions mention using the 1/2"x2" supplied fillets, my kit was supplied with smaller blocks in the bag of balsa which requires less taking off, still a large pile of wood shavings taken off though using the palm plane. Anyone got a Guinea pig that needs a new bed? The blocks are rested either side of a piece of scrap 1/4" sheet and all of that is rested on some scrap 1/4" to simulate the fin and tailplane but allows you to sand to shape without damaging the parts that will be glued on later. I have rested the fin in place for the picture, tomorrow i will sand the blocks to their final shape outside to save on dust in the house. Another job done was to put the servo rails in, i have moved them as far forward as i can as i think the electric models will be lighter on the nose end than the i.c ones. The ply i have used was in the kit and labelled battery supports, my battery will be going in vertically against the firewall in what would have been the tank bay so these were surplus to requirements. The cockpit sides have been wetted and curved round a tin to dry, that should leave a similar curve to the fuselage sides once dry. Really enjoying the build so far, got a fair bit to do to catch up to Graham R though! Hoping Richard can be persuaded to produce a batch of BF 109`S once the Spits are done, anyone else fancy one?

IMG_20211117_203005_resized_20211117_083212539.jpg

IMG_20211117_202849_resized_20211117_083213392.jpg

IMG_20211117_203041_resized_20211117_083211879.jpg

IMG_20211117_104852_resized_20211117_083215098.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting back on track with the Hurricane, some mild weather enabled me to get down the shed and put some paint on. I covered the rear fuselage in lam film also the tail feathers, having some black etch primer I tried it out on the lam film giving it a light rub down first. At this point I am tempted do do a night fighter version, I know orientation will be tricky but flying last week with a Spitfire in dull weather was ok and it was a silhouette most of the time. It will be economic on paint all black although some were black on the underside only.  

DSC_1032[2486].JPG

• Like 3

Fuselage is progressing on the LA7, the cowl has been put together from the 3 parts, Richard`s kit instructions suggest cutting the side parts on the edge of your bench, this was a good suggestion I marked the line i was cutting to with masking tape which also held the cowl to the bench, the steel rule could then be pushed up to the masking tape and a stanley knife with a new blade trimmed it nicely, a small amount off each side until it got a nice fit to F1 and F2. The cowl halves were held together on the outside with magic tape and strips of scrap plastic left from cutting the cowl out were glued along the joint using plastic model glue. The fuselage cockpit doors were fitted and sanded to shape, the rear part of the cockpit was cut into the foam decking and the exposed foam was lined with a cut up postcard as the instructions suggest. Sorting out the control snakes now. 

cowl.jpg

la fuz.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

I am very tempted to go with it Brian , I could repaint it later if I don't crash it through disorientation.?

The finish that you have achieved is superb -even more so when zoomed in. Is that really just sprayed primer over laminating film?

I know what you mean on the silhouette and disorientation theme - I have had some interesting flights with camouflaged aeroplanes under certain conditions. ?

Even better, hang it up in your bedroom, this has several advantages:

1. Hides that damp spot on the ceiling.

2. Cheaper as there is no need for any on board gear.

3. Only need to paint the underside.

4. Should not get damaged that much (let’s face it, how often do you dust things above eye level?)

5. Each night when you go to bed you can look at it and pretend it’s a proper night fighter.

On 19/11/2021 at 12:20, Eric Robson said:

At this point I am tempted do do a night fighter version, I know orientation will be tricky

Not too sure where the orientation issue comes from with all black planes or if this is an old wives tail.

I fly an all black Mosquito and I have never experienced an issue with orientation, so I would go with a night fighter version.