Nylon cowl brackets

Martin  McIntosh

I know how you feel Martin about the real things - but I have found that many real things have gone for good.

When I first acquired a printer a few years ago I was not sure what I wanted it for other than getting new skills as a general aim

But not only is it used for lots of modelling parts, servo mounts, motor cowls and all sorts of fittings but I have found that it is invaluable for printing parts for broken things around the house, where the real thing has really disappeared for ever. In fact I don't know how I would manage without one now. 

Last winter I even printed some new feet for a wooden duck that lives in the garden, his old feet had just rotted away, now he has nice new orange feet.

Another winter project was to print a complete r/c spitfire.....

See examples of my model parts in the Ohmen thread pictures.

Thanks again for the replies.

The Dubro ones are very expensive and would be almost impossible to fit accurately since you cannot see through the moulding sufficiently.

Screws just vibrate out of wood or alloy, all been tried in the past.

Most of my club mates now seem to be ARTFers and would not know what a 3D printer was, let alone have one.

I loved those little 90 degree nylon brackets, last got them about 5 years or more ago but cannot fr the life of me remember where I got them from......... But as Jrman said "Use a hardwood block with a piece of snake inner(Robart yellow) glued in for the screw fixing. Never had one come loose yet!"........... I have done this a number of times, a spot of superglue holds the insert in the wood...... HTH

A trip to B&Q etc might produce a source of suitable items  - I would look in the plumbing sundries section or the lengths of  L shaped extrusions in amongst the metal sections for suitable material.

However ready made brackets seem available here but they are already drilled  - I expect you want one side plain to allow drilling your hole through the cowl.

Edited by kc

Martin,

Those little grey brackets were made by SLEC, their part number was SL887, but they are no longer on their website, nor that of Perkins who I think distributed them to the model trade.

https://www.activescalemodels.co.uk/cowl-mounting-brackets-8-sl887

SLEC still make a slightly different one, part number SL886-R, 12.5mm by 12.5mm, but their description gives no indication of the material from which they are moulded. The cost is £1.26 for a pack of 8 so perhaps worth a try. They look thinner though so may not take a screw well.

https://www.slecuk.com/accessories/general-accessories/90-deg-mounting-bracket

You could always contact SLEC, if they still have the mould they might produce a batch. There is no harm in asking.

If you really want brackets like your original ones, another option might be to buy a flat strip of nylon of the thickness of your original brackets, heat it up and bend it to the required 90 degrees then drill and cut off as required.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

I use threaded metal inserts mounted in wooden blocks to secure cowling .
In order to accurately drill holes I use a guide made from a piece of thin aluminium sheet bent in half with holes drilled through both  sides at one end . Using this tool the drillings for holes are always spot on.