Nylon cowl brackets

Martin  McIntosh

I use a simple method, I run some red builders tape around 15cm long down the fuselage, then draw a line down it in line with the hole to be lined up and mark a distance for example 10cm in, I use two separate tapes lined at different angles to be sure that they line up,then put the cowling in place and line them up,,

I can do a mock up photo is you don't understand me,,,

I use the same sort of system taping cardboard to get the engine cut out right,

cowling 4 marking out.JPG

cowling 5.JPG

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

A Picture is worth a thousand words,,

Picture N° 1, the measuring stick method I use two references, self explanatory,,

N° 2 Lined up with the hole with a 'pointed stick' ( say no more ) then hinge with tape, I also use this method for cutting out the hole for the Engine as in my last but one post.

Cowl holes.jpg

Engine cutout hole.jpg

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

20 hours ago, kc said:

Perhaps Tim would explain his method  a bit more?

There was a method shown in RCME ( perhaps a David Ashby article?) which showed a way to get the cowl drilled to match the bracket - used a template of some kind.

The method I use is rather simple too . Its an old bit of bent in half scrap thin aluminium (a bit of soft drinks can would do) which is drilled through on both sides. On the inner piece I put a flat head screw to use as the “locator” . I screw that into the inner fixing block then slide the cowl on .  After I mark and fox each bolt I screw them in before marking the next bolt . That gives perfect accuracy. 

15FCE6E1-3211-4B8A-8622-C86C39C89901.jpeg

326349A7-A9B4-464C-BDEE-D91671F66A70.jpeg

• Like 1