Flying electric for the first time

Hello everyone, I am about to take up the hobby again and this time fly electric. I have read thro your articles about trainers and have chosen the Seagull Boomerang to get started this time with. I have owned two Arising Star’s models both 40 powered and enjoyed flying these ten years ago. 
I have read that I will need an out runner motor and it should be at least the power of a 40 I/c engine. I notice that the Boomerang uses two aileron servos (the Arising Star used one) so will go for a six channel Tx Rx. Looking forward to next year’s flying season.

David, first off welcome back. As for power, take the need to be at least the power of a 40 with a pinch of salt, on most IC engines the max power was developed at high rpm using a small propeller, with the actual propellers used the engines developed less power. For the electric model check the weight and then aim for around 100w per lb, also you can select an electric motor to turn a bigger propeller at a lower speed which will be more efficient. If you want an off the shelf solution then speak with a supplier (e.g. 4Max) who can recommend a suitable solution or run your motor/propeller suggestions through the members on here.

Welcome back!

Hopefully you have joined/are joining a club?

George at 4max will have a setup for that model - if not, he will recommend a power train.

Personally, I wouldn't restrict myself to 6 channels - even one of my electric foamies uses 7, with nothing really fancy. And radio equipment is really affordable these days. 

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Welcome back!

Hopefully you have joined/are joining a club?

George at 4max will have a setup for that model - if not, he will recommend a power train.

Personally, I wouldn't restrict myself to 6 channels - even one of my electric foamies uses 7, with nothing really fancy. And radio equipment is really affordable these days. 

Yes George has given me a quotation thanks, I have contacted a local club and am joining in the new year.

Edited by David Dixon 2

1 hour ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

David, first off welcome back. As for power, take the need to be at least the power of a 40 with a pinch of salt, on most IC engines the max power was developed at high rpm using a small propeller, with the actual propellers used the engines developed less power. For the electric model check the weight and then aim for around 100w per lb, also you can select an electric motor to turn a bigger propeller at a lower speed which will be more efficient. If you want an off the shelf solution then speak with a supplier (e.g. 4Max) who can recommend a suitable solution or run your motor/propeller suggestions through the members on here.

Thanks, that is usefull to know. 4Max have given me a quote and I will disscuss the motor size/proppelor size/pitch also.

Question, the Boomerang wing needs two servos, one each for Port and Stbd aelerons, what do I need to look for when I buy amy Tx and Rx? I am looming at a Futaba T6K V2 from 4Max it has lots of features I am not familiar with and if I dont use a Y connector would it be possible to use Flaperons?

Edited by David Dixon 2

6 minutes ago, David Dixon 2 said:

Question, the Boomerang wing needs two servos, one each for Port and Stbd aelerons, what do I need to look for when I buy amy Tx and Rx? I am looming at a Futaba T6K V2 from 4Max it has lots of features I am not familiar with and if I dont use a Y connector would it be possible to use Flaperons?

Find out what the most popular make of radio is at the club you intend to join. You may need help setting it up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dixon 2 said:

I have owned Futaba Tx Rx before plus I did fly a Blade with a Spectrum Rx but today I must be carefull with the pennies.

Sorry David that the assumption you are a complete novice is being made. As you are experienced your choice of motor may need to be more powerful than a novice would be comfortable with. It's probable that the 4-Max recommendations are aimed at the complete novice, low power slow flying, just something to check before spending the pennies.

For the wing servos using separate channels on the Rx gives more flexibility, differential ailerons for one. I started with Y leads but now always use separate channels.    

In 35 years of RC  6 channels has always been enought for me!  Depends what you want to fly though.

However my reason for commenting is to say that safety with electric is quiet different ( actually a spelling error to make my point )   because it's quiet the prop is still as dangerous as a glow motor running at full revs!    Anytime the Lipo is plugged in the prop could start up silently at full revs - beware.   Setting up the model is done with the prop removed.   Carrying the model around with Lipo plugged in it's alway possible to catch the throttle stick and have it start up instantly.  Even going into the memory of the Tx can have the motor start up with some makes ( happened to me with Futaba )

Lipo need a proper Lipo charger and care when charging etc.

Obviously I don't want to put you off electric -it just needs care and common sense plus awareness of what could happen.

I’d echo that advice. I always advise beginners - and old hands, come to that - to handle an electric model from the point of connecting the battery as if it has a running IC engine. 

Take some time in ensuring that you can connect the battery without putting any part of your anatomy close to the propeller arc. Watching someone with their wrist in the way of a typical sharp-bladed EP prop gives me the willies. 

34 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Sorry David that the assumption you are a complete novice is being made. As you are experienced your choice of motor may need to be more powerful than a novice would be comfortable with. It's probable that the 4-Max recommendations are aimed at the complete novice, low power slow flying, just something to check before spending the pennies.

For the wing servos using separate channels on the Rx gives more flexibility, differential ailerons for one. I started with Y leads but now always use separate channels.    

A newbie in our club had the 4Max recommended set up - certainly not underpowered ?

32 minutes ago, kc said:

In 35 years of RC  6 channels has always been enought for me!  Depends what you want to fly though.

However my reason for commenting is to say that safety with electric is quiet different ( actually a spelling error to make my point )   because it's quiet the prop is still as dangerous as a glow motor running at full revs!    Anytime the Lipo is plugged in the prop could start up silently at full revs - beware.   Setting up the model is done with the prop removed.   Carrying the model around with Lipo plugged in it's alway possible to catch the throttle stick and have it start up instantly.  Even going into the memory of the Tx can have the motor start up with some makes ( happened to me with Futaba )

Lipo need a proper Lipo charger and care when charging etc.

Obviously I don't want to put you off electric -it just needs care and common sense plus awareness of what could happen.

Always a good idea to have a throttle kill/hold switch as well - then two things need activating accidentally.....

• Like 1

Yes, 6 channels covers most eventualities.  Only 2 of my models use more:

Ultrastick - 4 wing servos that can act as independent flaps or coupled with ailerons, elevator, rudder, throttle 

F4U - 2 x aileron, flaps, rudder, elevator, throttle, steering 

Nice to have the flexibility if you need it. 

56 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

I started aero modelling  in 1956 with 2/6d Kiel Kraft kits from our newsagent in Kingsbury, in 1959 we built a Graupner FW190 control line a/c my Christmas present. In 1978 the Ripmax trainer my first R/C model then the Arising Star era of 2006. Now at 75 I feel the urge to start again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

We have a few of those in the club - they fly really well. 

Although the transmitter has 7 channels, I think it's pretty basic that may limit you in the future.... or maybe not!  Depends on your longer term aims I guess.

I would dearly love my sons to get interested in model flying, my number one son is a cracking Blade 120 pilot, that’s why I posted this everything you need Apprentice trainer.

David

Yes 10 channels. or more. will likely cover your needs for the realistic future but remember the more complex the model the more expensive it becomes both in terms of time and cost to create. By comparison an Open source Tx is relatively cheap.

Is it then such a disadvantage to start with a 7 channel Tx (not so long ago even 6 was considered advanced) particularly if your later Open source one can match the transmission protocol of the first. You then have a 'back up' Tx should you need it. ?