Flying electric for the first time

2 hours ago, David Dixon 2 said:

Question, the Boomerang wing needs two servos, one each for Port and Stbd aelerons, what do I need to look for when I buy amy Tx and Rx? I am looming at a Futaba T6K V2 from 4Max it has lots of features I am not familiar with and if I dont use a Y connector would it be possible to use Flaperons?

A few T6Ks in our club, they are actually an 8 channel radio and yes they will handle a a dual aileron wing easily. The only thing I don't rate about them is that the trainer switch is fixed to a standard (non-sprung) switch on the top right hand side of the Tx, which is the opposite of most mode 2 transmitters I have ever used, so as an instructor taking back control is not something as simple as just releasing a sprung loaded switch/button etc on the top left, other than that the guys that have them are quite happy with them.

1 hour ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

A few T6Ks in our club, they are actually an 8 channel radio and yes they will handle a a dual aileron wing easily. The only thing I don't rate about them is that the trainer switch is fixed to a standard (non-sprung) switch on the top right hand side of the Tx, which is the opposite of most mode 2 transmitters I have ever used, so as an instructor taking back control is not something as simple as just releasing a sprung loaded switch/button etc on the top left, other than that the guys that have them are quite happy with them.

I lost my first Arising Star when my instructor accidentally switched  his Futaba Tx trainer switch to ‘on’ as I was on finals just two feet off the ground. My pride and joy took a full aileron turn Stbd wing up, wingtip hit ground, plane nosedived in. Took the nose off, but gave me something to do over the winter months ?

19 hours ago, David Dixon 2 said:

Another thought, the club I am joining has a grass airstrip, I have always flown from concrete runways, do I need any mods to the under carriage like larger diameter wheels? 

Both my clubs are grass strip, one gets pretty long when the council forgets to cut it.

Something the size of the Boomerang (with 2 1/2"-ish wheels?) will not mind. A 1lb model with 2" wheels just gets a hand launch instead when the grass gets a bit long.

1 hour ago, Dad_flyer said:

Both my clubs are grass strip, one gets pretty long when the council forgets to cut it.

Something the size of the Boomerang (with 2 1/2"-ish wheels?) will not mind. A 1lb model with 2" wheels just gets a hand launch instead when the grass gets a bit long.

2 1/2” wheels it is then, thanks ?

At the risk of stating the obvious to experienced aeromodellers - you can of course operate 2 aileron servos from 1 channel by using a  Y lead.   This avoids the problem of making sure the aileron servo leads go in their correct socket when assembling the model at the field.   One less thing to go wrong.

A point often overlooked when selecting a radio make is that Spektrum has Model Match  which is a worthwhile feature if you have several models.  Also it's easier to get extra Rx for Spektrum, a point to check if buying unusual Tx - will you be able to get extra Rx or another Tx next year or the years after?  I say this as a Futaba user who finds it impossible to buy a new FASST Tx (at a reasonable price ) if my Futaba 6EX 2.4 ever gets damaged.  All my FASST Rx would become useless to me. 

Visibilty.   It's very important to have a very visible model when you become older or even at any age.   Also as age increases the time you can continue to concentrate seems to decrease.   Therefore even if you flew for 20 minutes in days gone by you might find that 10 minutes or less might be todays limit!   ( don't ask me how I know this! )

1 hour ago, kc said:

At the risk of stating the obvious to experienced aeromodellers - you can of course operate 2 aileron servos from 1 channel by using a  Y lead.   This avoids the problem of making sure the aileron servo leads go in their correct socket when assembling the model at the field.   One less thing to go wrong.

A point often overlooked when selecting a radio make is that Spektrum has Model Match  which is a worthwhile feature if you have several models.  Also it's easier to get extra Rx for Spektrum, a point to check if buying unusual Tx - will you be able to get extra Rx or another Tx next year or the years after?  I say this as a Futaba user who finds it impossible to buy a new FASST Tx (at a reasonable price ) if my Futaba 6EX 2.4 ever gets damaged.  All my FASST Rx would become useless to me. 

Visibilty.   It's very important to have a very visible model when you become older or even at any age.   Also as age increases the time you can continue to concentrate seems to decrease.   Therefore even if you flew for 20 minutes in days gone by you might find that 10 minutes or less might be todays limit!   ( don't ask me how I know this! )

Yes that sounds like good advice. If I had more than one model I would use the same Rx I have used Futaba in the past when they were available as a set including 4 servos. I agree with bright colours and different under wing to above wing like my Arising Star. I plan to get two LiPos to bring to the flying field your right about ten minutes flying about right for me. 

David said " If I had more than one model I would use the same Rx "   - well aeromodelling has moved on a lot in recent years and most people take multiple models to the field each time.    Models are so easy to obtain ready built that everyone seems to have multiple models all set up with it's own RX and servos.   It's really almost unknown for anyone to swop Rx etc from a model until it's wrecked!   So I think you should expect buy several Rx and multiple servos.  So future availability of Rx is something you will probably need to consider.   Model Match is a worthwhile feature.

To progress in flying you will probably need at least 3 Lipos or more to take to the field.    Consider buying the cheaper Lipos from HobbyKing etc branded Zippy, Turnigy etc.   The ones rated 20C seem quite adequate for everyday flying in many models and are much cheaper than higher C rated ones.   Be sure to check that HobbyKing or any website is showing the price from their UK warehouse to avoid import charges.  Most people say the cheaper Lipos last as long as the expensive ones.   I like to buy Lipos with the correct connector already soldered on so I look for those with XT60 already fitted.

I have also found that motors from HobbyKing are very good  ( I have had over 2000 flights on the same Turnigy motor and it's still going strong) and somewhat cheaper than other suppliers - it's just not so easy to see which motor/prop/Lipo you need from this supplier.   Get advice from forum members if you need it.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kc said:

David said " If I had more than one model I would use the same Rx "   - well aeromodelling has moved on a lot in recent years and most people take multiple models to the field each time.    Models are so easy to obtain ready built that everyone seems to have multiple models all set up with it's own RX and servos.   It's really almost unknown for anyone to swop Rx etc from a model until it's wrecked!   So I think you should expect buy several Rx and multiple servos.  So future availability of Rx is something you will probably need to consider.   Model Match is a worthwhile feature.

To progress in flying you will probably need at least 3 Lipos or more to take to the field.    Consider buying the cheaper Lipos from HobbyKing etc branded Zippy, Turnigy etc.   The ones rated 20C seem quite adequate for everyday flying in many models and are much cheaper than higher C rated ones.   Be sure to check that HobbyKing or any website is showing the price from their UK warehouse to avoid import charges.  Most people say the cheaper Lipos last as long as the expensive ones.   I like to buy Lipos with the correct connector already soldered on so I look for those with XT60 already fitted.

I have also found that motors from HobbyKing are very good  ( I have had over 2000 flights on the same Turnigy motor and it's still going strong) and somewhat cheaper than other suppliers - it's just not so easy to see which motor/prop/Lipo you need from this supplier.   Get advice from forum members if you need it.

I have a lot of Hobbyking's Rhino batteries, even the 15c rated ones perform very well and they are cheap!

Also, there are a wide range of Spektrum compatible receivers available with different features. I use a mixture of current Spektrum, discontinued Spektrum (from eBay) and Lemon receivers. 

Gone are the days when you had one transmitter, one receiver and 4 servos that you swapped between models thank goodness.

Whilst Futaba remain a reliable choice I really find them difficult to recommend these days. Protocol soup, lacking telemetry options and sky high RX prices mean there are plenty of other more compelling options out there from Jeti, Frsky and Radiomaster to name three. I also find all but the high end Futaba sets rather plasticky feeling these days, but YMMV.

12 hours ago, kc said:

I have just been looking at the  4Max website and the Boomerang section -this one ( there are 2 ) - don't be mislead by the obvious misprint which states the 4S Lipo that's needed is 11.1 volts.   A  4S is 14.8 volts.

Please note that the Seagull Boomerang EP, the blue one, is a smaller model than the regular Boomerang. It has a 56" wingspan compared with a 61" wingspan of the original Boomerang (1442 mm vs 1550mm.) Furthermore, the two standard Boomerangs which I've owned had all of the parts to allow them to be flown with an electric motor or with a glow engine.

PS. I find the new AR410 and AR620 Spektrum receivers with internal aerials to be very reliable and excellent value fore money. I have them in my Acrowot and in my Big Guff vintage model. https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=SPMAR410&area=RADIO

Le Petit Dernier (6).JPG

Gueret Fly-In Oct 2021 (5).jpg

Edited by David Davis
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, David Dixon 2 said:

If I had more than one model I would use the same Rx

Welcome aboard.

RXs are cheap enough to make this far more hassle than it is worth. Echo the above comments about radio brand, get what the instructor flies.

My take on lipos, 6 is a good number to take, covers most sessions. Charging at the field is not for me. You may find different. Glow motors are definitely a valid choice, especially in 40 size and larger where there is little or no weight difference.