OpenTx on a X10S

Andy J

Well after giving up on the thoughts of using Ethos, decided to download OpenTx to my X10S.  Unfortunately now rapidly regretting the decision.

Starting with a simply 3ch model I had initial success in binding an RX6R to the transmitter and had the servos moving.  Then I must have changed some parameter and its all gone west.

Servos do centre but nothing moves on any channel in response to the Tx. Tried rebinding in both D8 and D16 modes with telemetry but still unable to move any of the output channels. Rx appears to be in HS mode with both the green and blue LEDS illuminated.

Tried reverting to FS mode by shorting chans 1 & 2 and re-binding but the problem is just the same with no commands given to the servos.

Monitoring the Tx O/P channels does show the commands given on the sticks so what have I done wrong?

Definitely User error Gary but interested to know what issue can cause lock-out of all the channels.

Need to do a bit more reading on the OpenTx University site to get to grips with the system.  First issue to solve this morning is how to set up a engine stop switch.

Well whoever said Opentx was better than FRSky OS must have a neuron missing or perhaps its my old age making little sense of the logic used in OpTx.

Having now lost Ch1 on my simply 3 ch set up need to find a working example of a model set-up.  Therefore can anyone send me a companion file for a model that has a engine kill switch  or even a more complex model with an retractable undercarriage.

Well not much further progress Ron after downloading the file to the Tx.

Amended the internal RF to On and identified the Rx No as 2, along with re-binding the Rx. Now none of the channels move. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Note the output page does not have any of the named input channels so wonder if that is the reason.

Rx is bound as the blue LED is on and telemetry appears to being sent.

After following some advice from Ron and a long phone call now back to having a working system by flashing the old X8R with the latest SW.

Went back to the original Rx which was a RX6R and think I was confused when connecting up the Rx to some spare servos as to which was Ch1. So thinking I was testing chan 1, I had the servo connected to Ch 6, so no surprise that Ch6 did not move when I moved the stick. Re-bound anyway and full operation was established.

Matty, will now watch the video to see if I can establish how to set SwH to move the throttle back to a position that kills the engine.

4 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

…Matty, will now watch the video to see if I can establish how to set SwH to move the throttle back to a position that kills the engine.

That video is great for explaining the overall logical flow employed by OpenTX, but it probably won’t help you with a throttle cut. For that grab a brew and slowly read through and implement the sticky throttle cut in the link I gave above…

…or if you prefer to watch along with a video, these two show you multiple methods you can use in OpenTX to achieve your goal.

Basic throttle cut:

Safer “sticky” throttle cut that requires the switch to be in your chosen position AND the throttle stock to be at zero before it arms:

Edited by MattyB

Here is another great tutorial from Mike Shellim on a suitable safety switch that can be used for a motor…

https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/motor_arm/motor_arm.htm

One further comment… You will probably get frustrated initially coming from FrOS because OTX has a fundamentally different approach to most other systems. That doesn’t actually make it any harder to use, just different (and much more flexible), but you will need to accept that it may take a while to “unlearn” the previous way you did things. This is why total newcomers to RC tend to pick it up easier than those who have spent a long time using a canned mixer style system from Futaba, Spektrum etc. Stick with it and after a few hours you should start to get the idea.

Edited by MattyB

One method with IC throttles I’ve setup in the past is to have the main switch cut the throttle to idle, then use one of the pots to control the very bottom end of the throttle throw for trimming the idle. This video shows how to do that if it is useful…

Good concept Matty as it removes a bit of the guess work when setting up the idle position for a glow engine set up. Just need to add a momentary switch to the mix to remove the second curve  to quickly kill the engine rather than having to take your hand off the stick to turn S1.

Learnt quite a lot from "Open Tx - What is the fuss really about" thread so now need to add some advanced voice and warning features to the first of my 11ch set ups.

Assumed voice selections are controlled in special functions and found I could simply sequence multiple audio tracks to a single switch as I wanted "Flaps 30". Whilst I easily got the "Flaps" warning to work I was surprised there was not a numeric number track to add the "30".  Did download the Amber sound pack so do I need to look under a different audio selection for numbers?

Well very quickly gone backwards.  Having programmed up three models on the Tx and set the engine idle positions thought I would play around with Companion for the 4th and more complex model.  Then thought I would down load the 4th model to the radio as could not get Companion to play Amber audio files. Surprised having highlighted the 4th model file and pressing download to radio that the system had deleted the first three models! Is it therefore possible to select what files are downloaded under companion to avoid this happening again.

You download all models shown in the Companion window and overwrite those on the radio (think of it more as a folder download), therefore if you have just 1 model showing then that is what you will end up with on the TX. Good job you backed up your TX models before hand isn't it? (you did didn't you?) ?

Edited by Ron Gray