Hawker Hunter F6 in XPS foam

Having spent some time making an improved inlet duct for my prototype Hawker Hunter more for my own satisfaction that ever being able to fit it I finally decided to actually use it another Hunter airframe.

Hopefully the second time around with basically an identical airframe I can make some construction improvements along the way although my expectation is the new duct inlet section will be the biggest.

I have ordered a new 50 mm EDF but it comes from China so there is no rush. With Christmas post it could be the new year before it arrives.

Anyway in the mean time I have printed out all the parts of the complete duct.

DuctParts.JPG.ebeb45999518a08ed347d627ff006f08.JPG

One advantage of 3D printing is it was just a matter of reloading the saved STL files and pressing a button a few times.

The other but ultimately invisible improvement will be to increase the number of fuselage formers along the duct inlet section to give more support against it being sucked inwards.

The other changes will be a 'saw tooth' leading edge, a pair of "Sabrina" cartridge catcher bumps on the other side and the pair of semi permanent fuel tanks under the wings.

Now if I was very bold rather than a typical RAF colour scheme I could copy that of 'Miss Demeanour'.

MissDemeanour.thumb.jpg.088b1f73f836fb09c7e143a9c7d3b66b.jpg

Started life as an RAF F4 in 1955 but after a relatively short service life was sold back to Hawker for conversion into an 'export' Mk58 for the Swiss air force. After 24 years in Swiss service  she was purchased privately in 1996 and after restoration to above flew the air show circuit from 1999 to 2015 giving over 300 displays. The consequences of the Shoreham air display crash forced her sale to Canada where repainted she still flies, now 66 years old. offering tactical operational training to any military service willing to pay for it.

We shall see.   

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

I have just realised I did not complete this blog.

Built as an almost an exact duplication of the XPS Prototype Hunter I made earlier but with the saw tooth drooped leading edge, "Sabrina" bulges and an airbrake that appeared to be simply added to the underside.

Complete3.jpg.a3b7bc89233d0c4186741f9298d38b6c.jpg

Decorated as one of 111 squadron's Black Arrows.

It does also have the benefit of a slightly more powerful and beautifully balanced 50 mm EDF.

Still just a lightweight foamy but it flies nicely and on a 1800mAh 3s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRo3ptaeeuA

For an EDF its approach and landing speed are remarkably slow!

• Like 1