Looking to replace FF9 with FRSKY module with a better transmitter

leccyflyer

From memory you plug in the balance lead of the Lopo from the radio, then you just charge direct from the USB-C - from the manual…

Power and charging precautions

The TX16S has built in USB-C charging for 3.7v Lithium cells. The Charging circuit is designed for 2x 3.7v Li-ion 18650 or 2x 3.7v Lipoly cells (2s 7.4v Lipo pack) only with a nominal cell voltage of 3.7v and maximum charge capacity of 4.2v.

Heat-Flo Light Commercial Electric Water Heaters - safety alert symbolCAUTION!

DO NOT charge 6.6v LiFE battery packs or Li-ion 18650 cells with nominal voltage of 3.6v. Incorrectly charging the wrong battery type may lead to damage of the radio or fire.

I opted for the made-up Lipo pack. With my DX-9 I typically charge with the battery out of the transmitter, as the original DX9 charger stopped working. For this one I'll swap out the XT60 and replace it with my preferred 4mm gold connectors, but will probably charge the Tx using that USB charge lead, maybe with the occasional balance charge out of the Tx.

15 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Hi Pat

The only connection from the 2s1p 5000mah battery to the tx is via the balance lead. The XT60 connector is redundant other than for charging. I'll be removing that.

The supplied battery tray for the loose 18650 cells just has the balance lead, no XT60 connector.

The instructions state that charging is through the USB charge port and a lead is supplied.

Thanks for clarifying that, Brian. 

I'm not sure that I'd be happy with that charging arrangement for a lipo as it must mean a fairly slow charge rate that would be pain to monitor safely. The alternative of charging through the XT60 & using the balance lead as per normal convention would be potentially faster & easier to monitor safely but with the major undesirable action of regularly plugging & unplugging the balance connector.

Or am I being too cautious ?  

@Kevin Fairgrieve which battery have you chosen & what's your experience/opinion of the charging setup please?

Pat.

I'm of the same opinion that unplugging the connections to charge is less than ideal. My DX7 and FF9 are both fitted with 3s1p 1500mah LiFe packs, which come with two battery connectors -Futaba style and Spektrum type, plus a balance lead. These are excellent for a 0.8c balance charge in-situ, through the two spare leads. That's not an option for the TX16S or DX9 - the DX9 battery doesn;t even have a balance lead.

8 hours ago, PatMc said:

Thanks for clarifying that, Brian. 

I'm not sure that I'd be happy with that charging arrangement for a lipo as it must mean a fairly slow charge rate that would be pain to monitor safely. The alternative of charging through the XT60 & using the balance lead as per normal convention would be potentially faster & easier to monitor safely but with the major undesirable action of regularly plugging & unplugging the balance connector.

Or am I being too cautious ?  

@Kevin Fairgrieve which battery have you chosen & what's your experience/opinion of the charging setup please?

Pat.

My chosen battery is this one. 

Battery

This is a backup radio so does not come out often.

For personnel and safety reasons I have always taken the battery out and charged it separate from the TX.

I only wish my two Horus X12S had removable batteries and now the X20 has a LiPo with only a balance lead!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

I only wish my two Horus X12S had removable batteries and now the X20 has a LiPo with only a balance lead!

I did the battery and charging board upgrade on my X12S battery, made a lot of difference  and needs charging a lot less. The balance lead only LiPo shouldn’t present a problem to a chap of your calibre!

32 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I did the battery and charging board upgrade on my X12S battery, made a lot of difference  and needs charging a lot less. The balance lead only LiPo shouldn’t present a problem to a chap of your calibre!

I have done the same @Ron Gray. But there is still that little nagging doubt. charging is a lot less frequent with the "upgrade", but is still done with caution.

x20 all sorted charging wise.

I opted for the budget RM TX12 and found it ideal for my flying - Opentx Companion is great for learning and setting up plus there are plenty of YouTube videos showing hints and tricks. I use this safe throttle setup which I'd never have thought of; probably works for any Opentx radio: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

i bought mine as a back up to my Hitec A9,i opted for the lipo,charging through the built in charger,no problems.here's a couple of photos.

ken anderson...ne..1..T16s dept.

IMG_20211105_071237_1.jpg

IMG_20211105_070929_1.jpg

Ditto.

Once a quarter or so, I plan on removing the LiPo and balancing it on what's probably a more accurate charger.  As was my practice with my Taranis

• 2 months later...