Mold release method for FG or CF repairs.

David Hall 9

I have to repair a couple of my moldie F5J gliders, each with damage to the leading edge, with a chunk missing back to the spar.   Fortunately, the structure is still sound enough, so I simply need to fill and the skin the wings (one is glass fibre, the other is carbon fibre skinned.  

For the point at which the wing repair is skinned, I have previously applied CF/GF cloth and sanded down the lumps later.    

This time, I plan to apply a plastic sheet to the wet cloth and hold in place/shape to give the cured cloth a smooth finish.  

Can anyone recommend a suitable treatment for the plastic (Acetate/PVC) sheet to release the cured resin?  ..    Recent efforts with furniture polish have only been partially successful with many specs still stuck the the sheet when removed.     

When moulding glass or carbon fibre my release agent is two-stage.  First there's the wax, which I think is simply beeswax, then there's a liquid pva release agent like this one https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/clear-matt-pva-release-agent brushed on and allowed to dry.  It's water soluble, so is easy to clean off the finished item.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info...      It occurred to me that, if I use a sheet of (prepared) acetate as the external surface that will give the CF/GF wetted fabric it's shape and finish,  might I be better applying the resin and fabric to the sheet, then holding the loaded sheet in place on the wing until set.   That would give it a smoother finish?