Using 2.2.4. Should I update, if so which version?

Stephen Belshaw

On the basis of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and it being a process I dread I've put off updating the firmware for my Taranis X9D+. However I'm mindful that I probably should bite the bullet at some point but unsure which version to leap to. I don't won't to have to update my receivers so I guess that means NOT the latest version?

Is it worth updating, and which version do I need, also I'll be doing this on a Mac so is there anything I should be aware of?

5 hours ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

I don't won't to have to update my receivers so I guess that means NOT the latest version?

I've slightly lost track of OpenTX on Taranises since I moved to a TX16S, but I think it's still quite possible to run the latest version of OpenTX with slightly older (ie ACCST 1.x) Rx's so long as you don't flash the Tx RF module to ACCST 2.x / ACCESS.

that said, unless you need to upgrade for a particular bugfix or new hardware support I wouldn't bother personally.

16 hours ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

On the basis of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and it being a process I dread I've put off updating the firmware for my Taranis X9D+. However I'm mindful that I probably should bite the bullet at some point but unsure which version to leap to. I don't won't to have to update my receivers so I guess that means NOT the latest version?

Is it worth updating, and which version do I need, also I'll be doing this on a Mac so is there anything I should be aware of?

1. OpenTX and the internal RF module run entirely independent firmware. Keeping the module and RX firmwares matching is critically important or the RF link won’t work, but you can run any version of OpenTX with any version of the module firmware.
  2. If you do decide to updated the OpenTX and haven’t done so for a while make sure you backup your model file first and save it with a name that includes the OTX version so you can always go back to it. Then upgrade that model file (NOT the TX just yet) in increments of no more than one major version. Example - If going from 2.0 to 2.4, upgrade the model file from with 2.0 to 2.1, then 2.1 to 2.2, 2.2 to 2.3, then 2.4 to 2.4. You do this because the Devs always test the model conversion facility from the last major version, so skipping from (say) 2.0 to 2.4 might cause your model file to go awry and settings to change.
  3. Once your model file is updated, only then should you flash the TX with the version of firmware you want (no need to do this in increments, but it must match the version you updated your model file to). Once that Kia done repulsed your (converted model file then check it over thoroughly before flying to ensure no settings have changed (but if you follow this process that is highly unlikely).

9 hours ago, MattyB said:

Then upgrade that model file (NOT the TX just yet) in increments of no more than one major version.

@MattyB could you please explain this a bit further, how can you upgrade just the model file and test it without upgrading the TX? All I know of is to backup the SDcard, download a new version of same and transfer the RADIO and MODELS directory contents to the new SD directories.

1 hour ago, Max Z said:

@MattyB could you please explain this a bit further, how can you upgrade just the model file and test it without upgrading the TX? All I know of is to backup the SDcard, download a new version of same and transfer the RADIO and MODELS directory contents to the new SD directories.

I was wondering the same.

My understanding of MattyB's process  is that the version updates of OTX are done on the computer, step by step, making sure all the model files are complete and unchanged. Only then flash this over to the Tx. Then do the SD card??

3 hours ago, Max Z said:

2 hours ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

My understanding of MattyB's process  is that the version updates of OTX are done on the computer, step by step, making sure all the model files are complete and unchanged. Only then flash this over to the Tx. Then do the SD card??

Yes, that is exactly right. The steps are:

1. Download the model file form the transmitter and keep a backup of that file on your PC
  2. Take a copy of the model file and convert it to the next version using the relevent version of Companion (i.e. 2.0 to 2.1). Each time you do this keep a copy of that model file with the OTX version in the filename as a backup.
  3. Keep upgrading the model file on Companion in increments of 0.1 (2.1 to 2.2, 2.2 to 2.3 etc) until it reaches the version of OTX that you want to run on your transmitter
  4. Flash your TX to the target version of OpenTX you want to run using that version of Companion i.e. use Companion 2.4 to flash OpenTX 2.4
  5. Upload the matching SD card contents for that version of OpenTX and the converted model file to your TX
  6. Test your upgraded system carefully before flight to check nothing in your setups got altered in the file conversion process

Key point - you can do all the upgrades on the TX if you want, but to do that you have to upgrade the transmitter and convert the model file each time you update to the next incremental version; on the TX that can be quite slow. As you shuld always take a backup of the model files to your PC anyway before each update it makes far more sense to the the conversions on your PC whcih has more horsepower and saves you flaashing the TX multiple times.

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Or just leave it as it is.

Yes, I am not disagreeing with that - if you are happy with the version of OpenTX as is then leaving it alone is a great strategy. I am just sharing the above as if people do want to upgrade and are multiple major releases of OpenTX behind then the process described is the safest way to do it - going this route means you are highly unlikely to have any unexpected setup changes when you come to test.

Edited by MattyB