Vintage Model Company cub 4 channel trainer.

EGB 953

1 hour ago, Keith Berriman said:

Hello EGB. Do not leave the wing partly covered as pictured as the film will start to warp the wing over next few days  replying from experience

That will only happen if you shrink the film before covering the top surface, you should cover both top and bottom before shrinking the covering film. Ideally you should shrink the top covering first with the wing pinned or held down onto a flat surface before shrinking the underside.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EGB 953 said:

I Followed the guidance of @Jonathan M and ordered some M2 Clevis and solder extensions which arrived. I need to think about the right technique for soldering - fill the cavity with solder and shove in the piano wire or is there a better way .... hmmm.

That sounds like it'll do the trick.  But take care to lightly abrade the piano wire first.  Also worth doing a test run on a piece of scrap wire first to test the process; you can always re-heat the joint to liquidise the solder and remove, but will need to clean the socket before final soldering.  Get yourself a solder-sucker, which is cheap but effective.

Agree totally about doing the covering in one sitting.  Tack film panels down around the outlines on low temp as you go, but only shrink at higher temp once the whole lot is on both sides.  If there are any warps (keep checking carefully by eye as you go) then give the opposite side a careful blast with a heat gun, then weigh down overnight. Try to only tack the film to the internal ribs and sheeted areas once you've got a smooth warp-free surface overall.

• Like 1

The way I solder those threaded extensions is simply to clean and tin the piano wire and drop the extension onto the wire and apply heat.  You'll see if it's well soldered by the neat concave surplus solder at the joint.  I have a solder sucker but I only use it for electronic component desoldering - with other stuff I just heat it whilst holding with a pair of pliers and give it a good shake.  OK, it sprays solder over the floor but I've been doing it for more years than I wish I could remember without a problem - the molten solder is probably semi solid before it reaches the floor anyway.

• Like 1