CAA launch #shotonmydrone photography competition

EvilC57

25 minutes ago, EvilC57 said:

Not sure whether this is a good idea or not.

The CAA say the intention is to raise awareness of the regulations, but I can’t help thinking it’ll just encourage more people to fly where they shouldn’t be, to try and get a good picture.

And provide the photographic evidence for their own prosecution ??

35 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

I agree, especially as two of the categories they suggest are 'urban day' and 'urban night' ?

With an sub 250gm drone such as the DJI Mini 2 which is very capable you can fly in urban locations perfectly lawfully as long as you are registered and displaying your Operator Id on the aidcraft.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Nice pictures of course,  but not what the overwhelming number of model flyers are interested in or the reason that people build model aircraft for.

Not knocking it, just saying.

I suspect that "traditional" model aircraft flyers probably make up an overwhelming minority of UAS/drone users vs. the number of camera drone users.

I also suspect that we also have a much higher CAA registration rate than camera drone users - this comment is not intended to be pejorative, just that the level of awareness of the requirements is likely much lower outside the BMFA/LMA/etc. club system.  thus, since this isn't really aimed at us, then the CAA is probably targetting their awareness-raising activities in the right direction.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, andyh said:

I suspect that "traditional" model aircraft flyers probably make up an overwhelming minority of UAS/drone users vs. the number of camera drone users.

I also suspect that we also have a much higher CAA registration rate than camera drone users - this comment is not intended to be pejorative, just that the level of awareness of the requirements is likely much lower outside the BMFA/LMA/etc. club system.  thus, since this isn't really aimed at us, then the CAA is probably targetting their awareness-raising activities in the right direction.

You would perhaps be surprised. Well over 200k have registered with the CAA. Camera drone operators, in general are very well aware of the regulations. They are usually very active in online communities.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

You would perhaps be surprised. Well over 200k have registered with the CAA. Camera drone operators, in general are very well aware of the regulations. They are usually very active in online communities.

I would be astonished.  whilst it's great that 200k camera drone users have registered, is that anywhere close - %age-wise - to the %age of BMFA (exc. BDF) members?

don't get me wrong, I'm not anti- camera drone (I fly quads myself, as well as LoS/FPV FW), indeed I'm applauding the way the CAA is trying to raise awareness with the harder-to-reach consumer (vs. "enthusiast") flyers, but let's not conflate a high number with a high rate.

1 hour ago, andyh said:

I would be astonished.  whilst it's great that 200k camera drone users have registered, is that anywhere close - %age-wise - to the %age of BMFA (exc. BDF) members?

don't get me wrong, I'm not anti- camera drone (I fly quads myself, as well as LoS/FPV FW), indeed I'm applauding the way the CAA is trying to raise awareness with the harder-to-reach consumer (vs. "enthusiast") flyers, but let's not conflate a high number with a high rate.

I get what you are saying, but it's impossible to determine the number of SUAS that are being flown by non-national association members who haven't registered. In theory if you knew the total number sold you could make an estimate, but how many of those are still in use vs broken and at the bottom of the wardrobe? Round here (Herts) the number of camera drones being flown seems to have dropped dramatically in the last few years from the "Phantom4" peak, I've barely seen one in local parks or countryside this year.

Edited by MattyB

• 10 months later...
On 07/11/2021 at 21:56, EvilC57 said:

Not sure whether this is a good idea or not.

The CAA say the intention is to raise awareness of the regulations, but I can’t help thinking it’ll just encourage more people to fly where they shouldn’t be, to try and get a good picture.

Some important tips that should know to the beginner for photography and here is the complete guide.