Bricked X10S Express?

Ron Gray

Went to switch my TX on today and nothing showed on the screen, a slight electronic 'click' is all that I get. Bootloader recognised by PC but can't see the TX drives, power light comes on (green)m when USB connected but can't enter boot loader mode from TX (power on, trims in. Tried new battery, new formatted and setup SD card but nothing seems to work. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the boot loader was held in TX rom thus making it 'impossible' to brick?

Any ideas anyone before I send it back to Richard (who has been very helpful) @T9?

I wish I knew the answer Allan. The only ‘strange’ thing that happened was that the TX was charging via the usb cable connected to the PC and for some reason the PC decided to crash and restart (good old Windows!). Now I haven’t been back through the logs to see what caused the crash but it could be something to do with the driver but as to why it became corrupt, who knows. To be fair it’s the only major incident I’ve had with any of my FrSky TXs in 8+ years.

I wonder if charging via a computer's USB lead can affect the computer if the charge current is high.  To save the hassle of finding and plugging in a charger, or connecting my trannie to a computer, a while ago I bought a twin mains socket outlet with two built-in USB outlets for my workshop.  So now my X9D+2019 plugs direct into that.  My older X9D+ still needs a charger for its NiMh pack, of course.

In chatting to Richard (T9) it would appear that I'm not the only one who has experienced a similar problem which others have put down to a recent Windows update forcing them to roll back the drivers!

Anyway, mine's all OK now and I used it today without any issues.

On 08/11/2021 at 11:48, Allan Bennett said:

a while ago I bought a twin mains socket outlet with two built-in USB outlets for my workshop

My understanding is that these sockets place a permanent current drain on your mains electrical supply. Not a huge one in all probability but if it is on 24 7 365/6 it is going to add up. Just something to be aware of as more and more of our stuff is charged by USB connection.

56 minutes ago, Wookman said:

My understanding is that these sockets place a permanent current drain on your mains electrical supply. Not a huge one in all probability but if it is on 24 7 365/6 it is going to add up. Just something to be aware of as more and more of our stuff is charged by USB connection.

I would imagine they are no worse than a doorbell transformer & they've been around for donkeys, Then there's TV, monitor, electric toothbrush, Alexa ... 

Edited by PatMc

25 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

So, doing the maths:

30mW = 30/1000W = 30/1000000kW = 0.00003kW

Hours in a year = 365 X 24 = 8760

So consumption in a year = (0.00003 X 8760)kWh = 0.2628kWh

Assuming a cost per kWh of 25p, annual cost = 6.5p

I don't think I'll let it worry me. 

Trouble is, your maths may be based on false data. FlyinFlyn quotes the quiescent current but quantifies it in mW whereas it should be in Amps, unless he means the quiescent power.

I agree Pat. My calculations were tongue-in-cheek to be honest, but the link FF refers to does quote quiescent power as 30mW.  My point really was that,whatever the exact figures, it's so insignificant as to be, for practical purposes, zero, and certainly a lot smaller than the measurement tolerance on domestic electricity meters I would imagine.