Tiger moth plane

You can read about it here and probably many other books too.

I reckon they probably look better without them and would be easier when covering the model.  But scale is scale and one should fit them if the particular plane you model has them.

The slats are long thin aerofoil shaped strips of metal above the leading edge, you can just see the very forward portion where it curls under the wing. The black parts are covers for the pantograph type linkages, will see if I can find a better photo.

The slats are automatic in operation and are moved in to the extended (open) position by the centre of pressure moving forward as the angle of attack increases (stall approach). There is a cable operated from the rear cockpit only that locks them in the closed position, used for intentional spinning and gusty landing approaches (to prevent asymmetric opening and rolling).  They are also locked at the end of the landing roll as taxiing over bumps with them unlocked allows them to clatter in and out.

They reduce the 1g stall speed by about 5 knots but there is a train of thought that the extra weight of them increases the stall speed by 5 knots!!

What they do well is to transform the slow speed handling, with the slats out a mushy stall can be maintained with the stick almost on the back stop and will take some rudder and aileron mishandling, with the slats locked in (or a Tiger with no slats) the world will start to rotate very quickly!

I believe that these slats were invented by Frederick Handley Page.

Slots are fixed holes in the wing (Druine Turbulent) and slats move.

Kruger flaps are panels on the lower surface that extend down and forward then take up a curved (aerofoil) shape by the hydraulic actuators bending the panel. The Tornado GR.1 had them along with a half closing undercarriage door system (also increased lift) but both systems were disabled (along with automatic wing sweep).

Droops are the whole leading edge moving down (early F-4 Phantom, known as 'hard wing', late F-4E and F-4F have slats).

I made some plastic slats for my 1/4 scale Tiger (non-functional) and I lost one on its maiden flight, made no difference to it!

RAF Scampton, 1997.

1247503326_TigerMothCanon.thumb.jpg.cf243cd05f310957b81af173529c895e.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gary Binnie said:

I believe that these slats were invented by Frederick Handley Page.

Ian Redshaws big Handley Page HP42 biplane airliner has leading edge slats which deploy automatically as air speed falls, which, I assume, is as the full size.  It flies beautifully  - or, as you'd expect, Ian flies it beautifully.  I suppose they're the same as the ones fitted to some Tiger Moths.

That Tiger Moth of yours is stunning btw.  Is it scratch built or from a kit?

Cheers, yes, it's hibernating!

Fuselage is in the loft with two wings and two more wings are in a bedroom. Engine is in the shed.

'Pete' the pilot is a bit tatty now, I think the Latex isn't ageing too well.

I derigged it earlier this year, the wings can be removed in pairs and a jury strut supports them at the root. The wings were taking up too much space so I undid the strut bolts and flying/landing wires (they are functional).

This bench in the loft is now used for glider fuselages.

1600245490_Picture002(1).thumb.jpg.7baae479597bb2865367013a4935bb90.jpg 

Heres my 1/4 scale Moth, I based mine on one of the prewar civilian planes that never had the strakes so it is correct without them. I have deliberately spun the model and it recovers OK without them. I have the slats made out of lithoplate but they are not functional.

807920.thumb.jpg.505aeee849079c1b32ebc0638025cb31.jpg

• Like 4