Disaster! My own stupid fault.

Adrian Smith 1

On 10/11/2021 at 23:04, jrman said:

I think it was developed by JR and adopted by Spektrum when JR/Spektrum were working together.

All current JR Tx's have model match.

Futaba has recently updated the software to include model match which works with most of their receivers (all of mine). There is a software download available for most of the newer transmitters but it does mean that you will need to rebind everything. I moved from JR to Futaba (T18SZ) about three years ago and I love the increased functionality but I was a bit worried about the lack of model match so I was very pleased when this was introduced recently. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just goes to show how important maintaining currency is. 

I know when I got back to flying after the first lockdown I was very careful to go through all the check lists methodically before committing to fly.  I'd had a 3 month break from flying.  I usually fly once or twice a week so I felt very rusty.

Turned out fine as my brain kicked in pretty quickly.  

I note from the instructions for this machine, the manufacturer reckons.

Fit battery. Unfold the bits. Switch on, check function. Off. 
Less than a minute.

This bloke, a couple of hours experience, at night, in fog. Might even believe the instructions. 

What could go wrong?

Nothing to do with aerospace training. Look through a boatload of full size crashes.

A idiot, managed by cretins, who with a bit of training, probably by a fool, will always result in a trained idiot, supervised by an empowered cretin. With an ego that goes with their newly acquired expertise.

Obviously he didn't wait long enough for a proper GPS signal lock or / and flicked the wrong switch,,,

It happened to me in my early days building my own drones which I test flew at Montpellier, got back home 100 klms away and took off when I started loosing sight of it so I switched on the RTH only to see it fly in the direction of Montpellier,,,

So before take off wait till it has a proper GPS lock !.

47 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Obviously he didn't wait long enough for a proper GPS signal lock or / and flicked the wrong switch,,,

It happened to me in my early days building my own drones which I test flew at Montpellier, got back home 100 klms away and took off when I started loosing sight of it so I switched on the RTH only to see it fly in the direction of Montpellier,,,

So before take off wait till it has a proper GPS lock !.

Have had experienced this one Paul

A friend at the strip powered up his new GPS equipped quad for a test.

this promptly took off, then flew off.

On returning home, the quad had landed, undamaged, 3 miles away from the patch, in his back garden.

Following this, we had a club meeting to discuss how to avoid this scary event occurring ever again.

Edited by Denis Watkins
  • Like 1

I'd recommend making use of voice prompts - my transmitter calls the name of my model when selected, as well as position of all key switches.  For anything unique, just use something like Audacity to record a custom voice prompt.... "check GPS" seems appropriate.  Or use the checklist feature if using OpenTX - no signal is transmitted until the checklist is dismissed.  I use the checklist if I have been tinkering, or need to check something specific.  All helps prevent accidents.

4 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I use iNav on my flight controllers, by default the model will not arm until the gps has locked onto sats. Sure you can override this by reprogramming but you have to physically type the command line to do this. RTH locates the position the model was armed.

Very sensible.

I only have one quadcopter and although it has RTH, it's not mandatory to get a GPS lock.  It's quite old and gets used very very rarely.  Probably going to pass it on ....

• 1 year later...

It's always disappointing to lose something that you value, especially due to a mistake. It's important to always double-check everything before taking off, particularly when it comes to safety-critical components like wing bolts.

In situations like this, it's important to learn from the experience and take steps to prevent it from happening again in the future. You may want to consider implementing a pre-flight checklist to ensure that all components are secured properly before takeoff. Additionally, you could consider using thread-locking adhesive on the bolts to provide extra security.

If you're looking to replace your 3DHS Extreme Flight 60cc electric, you could consider looking for a used one online or reaching out to hobby shops or online retailers that sell remote control airplanes. Before purchasing, be sure to do your research and read reviews to ensure that you're getting a quality product that meets your needs.

• 2 months later...

These models are very expensive now and imo the build quality is rubbish . Ive repaired quite a few for various flyers now and all have one thing in common , lack of or inappropriate glue , and rubbish quality plywood in high stress areas! The video clearly shows how the ribs just slip out of the spar . This is a common finding during repairs and the models rigidity relies mainly on the interlocking very cleverly designed parts. But , as soon as one part fails all the rest collapse like domios.

The last repair was for the uc mountings on a turbine powered model. The mounting plates had virtually no glue securing them to the ribs that they slotted through and the ribs were made of carbon fiber coated ply ( sounds very strong and sophisticated )that was absolute rubbish  infact more like laminated balsa that compressed very easily allowing the plate to twist eventually tearing out. The glue used in manufacture was like a brittle heat gun glue that had obviously been applied after assembly with no chance of penetrating the joints and could just be flicked off with scalpel ! Nowhere did i find any glue that actually adhered to any of the carbon .

The next repair Ive been asked to do is to the engine mount and fuselage front and cowling caused by a wheel finding a bump or small hole in the ground while taxying and the model nosing over . The  whole engine mount collapsed with a lot of collateral damage to surrounding fuz.

Its a bit like buying a car thats all shiny and smart only to find out that its a few cars  badly welded together! 

So check rigidity and aiframe structure regularly . Apply a dtop of adhesive into joints that will penetrate and lock the joints while assembling the model. Covered wings obviously cant be checked . Think what could happen if that lovely big engine came loose while prop hanging a few feet in front of the pilot .