Ben Buckle KK Falcon.

Well, at last, after 16 months in the build, my KeilKraft Falcon from a Ben Buckle kit is complete!

Today was a calm day at Greenmires, our North Yorkshire flying site, and so a fine day for a maiden...

I was somewhat worried that take off would be skittish, due to the very forward undercarriage, but it was really just a pussycat!

The model weighs 8lb 5 oz, no ballast required with the cg at 130mm, just 5mm behind the plan cg.

Engine is an OSfs56a, turning a wooden 14"x4" prop. Took off at half throttle, and spent most of the flying time at 1/4 throttle.

Eventually tried a few aerobatics(!!), it loops reasonably, barrell rolls interestingly?, but the stall turns are excellent!

A few pics, with many thanks to club photographer Nigel Castle...

1933356079_Falcon1.thumb.jpg.69cc9eb4fbce0b28d2acb66ff85a9fa4.jpg987754530_Falcon2.thumb.jpg.42ee9c04fd20fb1cf45ee1a80ae6a21c.jpg

Edited by Steve Dunne
  • Like 1

Wonderful Steve.

Your pictures have persuaded me to get me to get mine finished and  ready for the next flying season.   I started mine quite a few years ago  , ended up being distracted on other projects  . I have also been able to find a NIB OS fs60 open rocker to fit into this (hidden in a tea chest from a house move some 30 years ago).

So thank you for the timely reminder.

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, 911hillclimber said:

Just caught up with this plane.

What a real cracker! And it has a pilot, nice change.

Makes me look forward to 2022 when I hope to be competent enough to fly my BB Buccaneer.

The plane looks really good, an inspiration to a newbie!.

You are probably already competent enough to fly the Falcon Hillclimber, after all, it was designed as a free flight model so it will be very stable. I wouldn't advise flying it in a wind though!

Hillclimber, the bloke who built that knows the structural limitations of the airframe if he looped it, and still had it after the loop. A loop done without wing stress is not as easy as it sounds.

It is easy to steer round the sky, but,

1. it weighs half a stone or so, it has energy to dissipate.

2. it’s a free flight model, loops were not in the designers mind. 
Lovely thing, but know it’s limitations before you pile half a soul of hours into making one.