Futaba sz18 and Sbus

malmaz

Can someone advise on Sbus and my SZ18 tx setup. I am going to use standard servos with my Sbus system and I know I have to purchase a Futaba SBD1 Decoder to run these servos, on my transmitter I can program Sbus servos etc but my question is can I programme the SBD1 decoder with my transmitter or do I have to purchase a Futaba SBC1 programmer to program the Decoder? 

Regards

Malc

Malc, no, it is not possible to ptogram SBD1 decoders from your radio. To program them you actually need the simple SBC1 or the more advanced, which I prefer, CIU-3.

Anyway and if you are going to use several ordinary servos I recommend you going for the SBD2, just a little more expensive than SBD1 but cheaper if you add the SBC1. SBD2 may handle up to 8 servos, you do not need any other accessory to program it and even it may accept a separate batery to feed the servos connected to it.

I do have both but rarely use the SBD1 units unless I just need one or two ordinary servos connected to a S.BUS receiver.....

For running 4 servos in the wings you will need 2 x SBD1, as each one allow connecting 3 servos. You may connect the servos on each wing to a SBD1 decoder and then connect each SBD1 to a "Y" type cable connected to the S.BUS plug on the receiver.

If you go for the SDB2 you will have to make a normal cable installation with long servo cables up to the SBD2, this is 2 labeled long servo cables for each one as up to the SBD2 yours should be a "normal" installation.

So if you want to use the S.BUS capability of not worrying and messing with servo labeling and possible error when connecting them, best solution should be 2 x SBD1 decoders. If economy and practicallity for future models is your option, the SBD2 should be better.