Not sure if this is a start to a reliability issue?

911hillclimber

911Hillclimber, IMHO you have not been helped as much as you could have been and in fact I am pretty disappointed that people have allowed you to fly/crash this many times!

Okay its not the best time of year to be learning, but take any and every opportunity to fly if you can. If its not blowing a gale or pouring with rain then see if you can get some flying in. If no one is available or you are not comfortable flying then spend some time on the sim. Try flying set pieces on the sim and stringing maneuvers together + most sims can be adjusted for random gusty conditions so use them if you can. Try using the BMFA Flying Start guide BMFA_Flying_Start_2015.pdf (brcmac.org.uk) and practicing the A test routine. It will be a great help at he field if you know what you should be doing even if you can't quite get the model to do what you want it to do (some of use still have that problem!).

I think trainees should be exposed to all sorts of weather conditions so they can build up experience even if they need to give control back a few times per flight. One example was last week when the light was fading and the model was getting increasing difficult to orientate. Just looking at the model it was almost impossible to tell which way around and it made a good opportunity to discuss with the trainee about not letting it get too far away, keeping your eye on it at all times and with this model rolling it to see the distinctive upper wing to regain orientation. 

All the best and keep us posted on your exploits  ? 

My buddy link is a keen volunteer, and has sorted quite a few over the years.

I am 69 and picking all this up for the first time.

I jumped in for all the wrong reasons and all the wrong gear too!

old dogs and new tricks describes my dilemma.

However, I now have the right plane, a field and flyers I'm comfortable with and non of them have taken the Micky over my efforts. I feel I've learnt a lot sometimes the hard way, and my last adventure to the ground was totally my fault based on mis placed confidence.

I do though feel sure enough to fly on my own and if I need to I can switch on the stabiliser which I have not used, but watched a similar plane fly with its device on, the stability was very impressive.

I have some options!

No substitute for stick time.

• Like 1

Yes keep at it! There are always occasional backward steps along the way but you will get more and more forward steps as you progress. A bit of perseverence has got you over the ESC issue, and you are clearly keen to progress.

As you rightly say, no substitute for stick time. As long as you and your tutor are prepared to fly throughout the winter when the weather allows it will all come together.

You can get some lovely still flying days in the winter, it's a pity they are so short.

Brian.

1 hour ago, 911hillclimber said:

However, I now have the right plane, a field and flyers I'm comfortable with and non of them have taken the Micky over my efforts. I feel I've learnt a lot sometimes the hard way, and my last adventure to the ground was totally my fault based on mis placed confidence.

Great that you've found a good group to fly with.  If it's anything like my club, mickey taking is a sign that you've reached a decent level of competence and acceptance and something that I positively enjoyed when I received my first wry observation!  Meanwhile, enjoy the learning process and support they can give you.