Cox Stuka Control liner on The Repair Shop this evening

Robin Colbourne

And the words Cox, Glow plug and control line not y mentioned even once

The engine ran on a prime so a fuel feed issue, they don't d not say how they cleaned the engine.

Long nose ( stumpy ) pliers to remove the head, no cylinder flats on that era so i wonder how he got the cylinder off ?

Hope they didn't crash it if they flew it, worth quite a bit.

Hope the oe engine was kept with the plane.

Edited by Rich Griff

Steve made the mistake of referring to the bellcrank as operating the Ailerons too - not the Elevator.  Apart from that it was easy watching but I'll bet it will not be flight tested as the undercarriage looked very flimsy, and the plastic airframe must be brittle too.

I had a Wenmac plastic control line model back in the day, but it was far too heavy to fly properly and needed a smooth tarmac play ground to have enough ground speed to even lift off !

I am pretty sure the repair shop gave that Stuka some new decals.

I tend to agree that as the Cox ran on a prime and from a flick start at that, there was little fundamentally wrong with it. It looked like a reed valve Cox and once that gets gummed up it needs considerable care to rectify. The Stuka version is quite rare.

In my loft I do have an original (1960?) P40 version that my Dad brought back from America along with a can of Cox 20% nitro fuel. No worries back then.

Frontview.JPG.bbed668e284c9312e11e50d4d4a83deb.JPG 

Never flown. It 3 blade prop was used elsewhere.      

Edited by Simon Chaddock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Colbourne said:

Was the Cox 049 a factor in your username these days? ?

I've still got at least one Cox .049 Robin. Had much greater success with them in the early noughties, but the airframes have long since been electrified. Even managed to get them running on 5% nitro in later years.

Edited by leccyflyer
typo

27 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

I am pretty sure the repair shop gave that Stuka some new decals.

I tend to agree that as the Cox ran on a prime and from a flick start at that, there was little fundamentally wrong with it. It looked like a reed valve Cox and once that gets gummed up it needs considerable care to rectify. The Stuka version is quite rare.

In my loft I do have an original (1960?) P40 version that my Dad brought back from America along with a can of Cox 20% nitro fuel. No worries back then.

Frontview.JPG.bbed668e284c9312e11e50d4d4a83deb.JPG 

Never flown. It 3 blade prop was used elsewhere.      

Simon, that P40 must be quite a rarity.  Maybe it was only sold on the other side of the pond? 

You thoughts on the gummed up reed valve in that Stuka were exactly what I was thinking as I watched it.  Care would be needed, but I'm sure it could have been got going with the right person on the job.

Yep, lovely little things. I have 6 049's, screamers all of them, all destined for a model, 2 using a pt19 plastic wing and balsa fuz.

They are easy starters and reliable runners

The peewee is a jewel

I'm after Rc carbs and parts for TD09 which are very powerful for the size.

Anyone got any td09's or parts they will no longer use/need ? A pt19 fuz in any condition would be very usefully to me also 

Edited by Rich Griff

16 minutes ago, Wookman said:

I have an 051 that used to be on a power pod on top of the Impala. Changing from 5% and a 6x3 to 16% and 5x3 certainly helped the performance but the noise was unreal. 

Once when having a hearing test, it occurred to me that the frequency of my poor hearing coincided with the rpm of the TD049.

• Haha 1

Interesting that he replaced the missing spinner, but didn't replace the missing bomb. The damage was minimal really- the model really only needed a good clean, some minor gluing of broken parts and the engine sorting. Since they aren't going to fly it, I think personally that it would have been better to put the original, freed up engine back in and keep everything as original as possible.

Haven't seen the programme yet so looking forward to that. When I was about nine in the mid sixties, I badgered my parents to buy me IIRC a Keil Kraft control line Chipmunk for Christmas - goodness knows why. I do recall it being  all plastic, light blue fuselage and possibly cream coloured wings with a Cox or maybe  McCoy 0.49 of some description. a bit like a big Airfix model. Anyone remember it? I think they did an injection  moulded  Hurricane as well. I recall them being quite heavy so did they actually fly if you knew what you were doing?

It came from Lathams in the Royal Arcade, Norwich and TBH, was totally out of my young skill set at the time - and with nobody to help me with it, it soon began to gather dust and was eventually lost, given away or dumped, I don't remember. Did take it over the local park on one occasion with my dad, who could build you a lovely brick wall, replace  your ceilings  or do intricate plastering but was all at sea with models, but would indulge me as much as funds allowed. A freezing cold day with snow on the deck and we never got a murmer out of the motor.   Put me off control line (and flying in freezing cold weather) and I've never felt the urge to have a go at either ever since but do take my hat off to those that have mastered that particular branch of the hobby.

Edited by Cuban8

Hi Cuban, you may be thinking of the Cox pt19 fledgling which flew quite well and even better in aerobatic mode ( positional engine mount/firewall.

However parts always broke.

Kk did hurricanes with a mcoy wind backwards and let go sprung starter.

They did a silver hurricane.

The stuka was my favourite but I never had one, but did have a go with "pecks", a friend's. I did not crash it.

Then came the champ and DC sabre, no flat battery needed.

I wanted the plastic Hurricane model as a youngster but the local model shop owner persuaded me to build a Phantom Mite on which to learn to fly C/L. Good advice which started me on the right path to success. 

This is from the back cover of Model Aircraft Magazine Aug 1965:

WenMac CL.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Cuban, you may be thinking of the Cox pt19 fledgling which flew quite well and even better in aerobatic mode ( positional engine mount/firewall.

However parts always broke.

Kk did hurricanes with a mcoy wind backwards and let go sprung starter.

They did a silver hurricane.

The stuka was my favourite but I never had one, but did have a go with "pecks", a friend's. I did not crash it.

Then came the champ and DC sabre, no flat battery needed.

It is well over 50 years ago and the memory can play tricks but I do recall the 'plane had the classic shaped closed Chipmunk canopy rather than the open  PT19. Don't know for sure, certainly nothing comes up from a Google search. BTW, I just remembered that I did get a Phantom Mite kit a while afterwards (no idea why) and was very disappointed to find the attractive box just contained a few lumps of balsa, a plan and instructions to carve everything to shape!  No go on that one either. No more control line after that.

Edited by Cuban8

I remember poring over the Keil Kraft catalogue at the control line models but didn’t manage to afford such luxury as the Phantom Mite until I was into my later teens. I don’t recall any disappointment with the kit contents and it flew very well until an attempt at a loop went horribly wrong. I moved on to RC after that - but a few years ago I downloaded the plans and built a replica with a DC Merlin from my collection of bits and bobs. Perhaps one day I’ll pluck up courage to loop it but it’s well worth the effort of laying out the lines and flicking the engine into life - for the wonderful aroma at the very least - and getting rather dizzier than I recall in earlier years!

• Like 1

My dad bought me a ready to fly Cox Thimble Drone set, a Piper Cub or similar, all red IIRC. He wanted it of course, and I was the excuse. Would have been late 50s/early 60s. Off we went to North Reddish park where we got it running, dad on the handle, me hand launching as the grass was too long. It left my hand, went straight up, over the top, and piled nose first into the ground on the opposite side of the circle. Broken into a lot of pieces it was consigned to the loft and eventually binned, but I kept the engine.

It did service on a powered glider years ago and I eventually sold it at a swap meet about 10 years ago.

It was followed by a KeilKraft Champ with a PAW 149 which we did fly successfully, the engine from which was sold at the same swap meet.

The Cox PT19 and the Tri-ang/Frog/Cox Fledgling were two different aircraft, both Cox powered.

This is the Fledgling:

1988569970_Tri-angFrogFledgling.JPG.ae515aa5b313f1eed8bc7b3113159d8e.JPG

This is the PT-19.  Its my brother's that he bought in Canada in 1970.  The engine went into various other models and is around somewhere.  Note how both models were available with reversed colour schemes to that on the box:

IMG_5395.thumb.JPG.ee16af72c7f95300de20aa3a1bcfd580.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

Edited by Robin Colbourne
PT-19 added.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Robin Colbourne said:

The Cox PT19 and the Tri-ang/Frog/Cox Fledgling were two different aircraft, both Cox powered.

This is the Fledgling:

1988569970_Tri-angFrogFledgling.JPG.ae515aa5b313f1eed8bc7b3113159d8e.JPG

This is the PT-19.  Its my brother's that he bought in Canada in 1970.  The engine went into various other models and is around somewhere.  Note how both models were available with reversed colour schemes to that on the box:

IMG_5395.thumb.JPG.ee16af72c7f95300de20aa3a1bcfd580.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

Robin, I reckon you've solved it! The Fledgling looks very much like the model I had, maybe sold in a slightly different box, I can't be certain - but the right colours and a bit Chippyish as I said. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Robin, I reckon you've solved it! The Fledgling looks very much like the model I had, maybe sold in a slightly different box, I can't be certain - but the right colours and a bit Chippyish as I said. Thanks.

Cuban8, I think you should go to Specsavers ?