Nice Guardian Article

Nice article but as usual they aren't completely correct...

The modellers also seek thermal lift in sunny weather, which gives added elevation for the unpowered remote controlled aircraft, which in extreme circumstances can reach speeds of more than 500mph

It's dynamic soaring where models can reach 500MPH not diving from a thermal.

1 hour ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Nice article but as usual they aren't completely correct...

It's dynamic soaring where models can reach 500MPH not diving from a thermal.

A national newspaper publishes a set of photographs with a very positive slant on model flying and all you can do is criticise them on a fairly esoteric aspect of the sport that very few modellers either carry out or actually know a lot about?  I thought it was excellent, particularly in view of the attitude that the Dartmoor National Park seems to be adopting towards RC gliding.

Geoff,

Nothing that I have been personally involved in that has subsequently appeared in the press has been reported completely accurately, seems par for the course. I would agree though, this article puts the hobby in a good light.

However, I wouldn't like to think the general public think that these guys and plenty of others like them out for a leisurely slope soar, fly their planes at such dangerous speeds.

6 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Geoff,

Nothing that I have been personally involved in that has subsequently appeared in the press has been reported completely accurately, seems par for the course. I would agree though, this article puts the hobby in a good light.

However, I wouldn't like to think the general public think that these guys and plenty of others like them out for a leisurely slope soar, fly their planes at such dangerous speeds.

What is a "safe" speed to fly at? 

• Like 1

Don’t think these guys do that speed, that’s the world record. And back in the day I was paid to drive cars on public roads at  over 160mph, legally, and safely. The car ran out of acceleration at those speeds. 
Given the empty terrain, and with an observer or two, I reckon why not. And those guys are old and ugly enough, they might know what they are doing.