Model Technics by Optifuel. Availability update

Jon H

9 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I see Model Technics are listed to be traders at the Woodspring Wings show in July this year. Do the organisers know something we don't?

Not sure, but i think opti are keeping the MT brand going as it has a loyal customer base and the products are well known. How that relates to their trade stands i cant say. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if and when Optifuel will be supplying either Laser 5 Pro (7% oil) or Techpower 10/16 nitro? Techpower is 15% oil + SICAL additives.

The Opifuel website shows very little in the way of Model Technics fuels.

The Techpower is a fuel that many of us in my club have used with great success in OS, Saito and other 4-strokes in recent years, but the standard Optifuel offerings are 18% or 20% oil. This is more like Propower from MT, which we found to be very much a second-best for our non-Laser four strokes.

We are beginning to run low...

On the same subject, what is the difference between aircraft fuel and car fuel (e.g. Optimix RTR 16, which has 15% oil like Techpower 16)?

If there is no downside for aircraft, perhaps this could replace Techpower?

Steve.

Edited by Steve Dunne

Standard Laser 5 should now be available from Optifuel. 

Laser 5 v2 and the low oil Laser 5 pro v2 will be in production this month i hope. 

We are changing the oil from ML70 to klotz for ease of manufacture for opti

I've noticed on the back of a gallon of Optimix 12% glow fuel it has a expiry date of roughly one year. 

Even though the cap has a sealing foil. As long as the fuel is kept out of direct sunlight and cool temperatures, I didn't think glow fuel had a shelf life, or is this something new? 

I would probably consider a shelf life date more like a best before rather than an eat by date. 

As with everything it will deteriorate with age and this date opti provide could also be intended to cover partially used bottles? I do not have any concrete info on that but i would be prepared to throw out any half bottles of more than a year old if the performance of the engine was poor. 

In my experience, providing fuel is kept in a reasonably cool and dark environment with the container tightly sealed, it's life can be very long indeed, certainly several years  - even part used bottles.  I've seen some flyers allow their fuel bottles to remain open to the air all day when flying,  and on damp days that can't be a good idea.  I've never had fuel that I've stored that's been troublesome, but then I've only ever used standard types with low nitro content, maybe there is an issue with more exotic brews with high nitro etc where some of the ingredients may well break down more easily over time.

• 4 weeks later...

This might be the final update as the new Laser 5 and laser 5 pro are just around the corner. 

Production of both new fuels has started and these version 2 fuels will be available i the coming weeks. They will be red/pink in colour due to the oil change but the rest remains the same. 

Laser 5 is 5% nitro and 15% klotz oil. This is suitable for all standard 2 and 4 strokes on the market and my enya 53 fs really loves it. 

Laser 5 pro is 5% nitro and 7% Klotz oil. This can only be guaranteed for Laser engines. If you try it in another brand any failures are on you. 

I am not sure if any of the other popular MT fuels are available but the new laser 5 would be a perfect replacement for the old irvine sport 5, techpower 5, pro power etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update following my own experience of using the new Optifuel Laser 5 V2 and Laser 5 Pro V2. 

Both run fine and my enya 53 4 stroke really seems to enjoy the 5 v2 as i mentioned before as did my Laser 80. My Laser 240v has been running on the 5 pro v2 and it too ran very nicely. 

The only things i have noticed is that the engines now smell like strawberries due to the klotz oil, and that slow run tuning needs to be leaned off significantly on both fuels. So going from old 15% oil to new, or old 7% to new, you need to lean your slow runners significantly to suit the new fuel. In the case of my 240v it was nearly a full turn leaner. 

Next time i fly the enya 53 i will lean him off a bit too. I doubt it will be a full turn, but it needs something and the Laser 80 does too. 

So if your engine is chuffing smoke and running badly on the new fuel its just the low end tuning so whip the cowl off and sort it out. 

I am told the pro v2 is ready now and going out to shops as soon as they order it, and 5 v2 will follow soon once a small stock of the old formulation is shifted. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 1

more news. 

Perkins are distributing the new fuels so any shop can just order it up. If you want the low oil fuel but cannot find it at your local shop just ask them to order it for you. Be sure to explain its only suitable for lasers though as the shop staff themselves may not be aware of its oil content as its so new and we dont want it accidentally recommended for the wrong job. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Wouldn't it be better just to label it "Not suitable for 2 strokes"

No because its no good for 4 strokes either. The low oil fuel has been developed for Laser engines specifically and can only be guaranteed with our engines. 

To quote my earlier post:

Laser 5 is 5% nitro and 15% klotz oil. This is suitable for all standard 2 and 4 strokes on the market and my enya 53 fs really loves it. 

Laser 5 pro is 5% nitro and 7% Klotz oil. This can only be guaranteed for Laser engines. If you try it in another brand any failures are on you. 

19 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

No because its no good for 4 strokes either. The low oil fuel has been developed for Laser engines specifically and can only be guaranteed with our engines. 

To quote my earlier post:

...and Laser 5 pro is not recommended for older Lasers either, if I understand the situation correctly.

18 minutes ago, David Davis 2 said:

...and Laser 5 pro is not recommended for older Lasers either, if I understand the situation correctly.

Yes very true. Anything made before 1992 should not be run on the low oil fuel. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still getting a number of calls/emails asking about the fuel situation. 

The fuels are manufactured and available, if you cant find it then that is because the shop didnt order it so you need to call your chosen shop and badger them relentlessly until they do. 

I have done my bit, opti have done theirs and now its up to you guys to tell the shops what you want and make sure they order it. I doubt they will need much convincing so just phone them up and ask them to order it. 

As before, be aware that you might actually know more about this low oil fuel business than they do as its a very new thing so you might have to be very clear about it. If they arent sure, get them to call me and i will explain it. 

I'm hoping that there will be a retail outlet for it at the first Old Warden (Modelair) show in a couple of week's time as I'm now on my last 5lit of the MT low oil. 

@Jon - Laser Enginesthere should be a warning on the new in-line and flat twin sales to the effect that you will be getting so much more fun from flying that you will be flying more and therefore you need to ensure adequate fuel supplies!

• Like 1