Windows 11

John  Tee

Hope this is the right section for this post as I couldn't find the chit chat section and it is sort of electronics

Had to upgrade my laptop last month as it was beyond economical repair. Have had several reminders that my new computer is comptible and ready for 11 so bit the bullet and let it upgrade today.

Was a bit of a non event and the only visible difference on the start screen is on the task bar, it is centred and a few new icons, I read somewhere that all the usual start icons would be in a window in the centre of the screen - not on mine. So far everything works as before. I know mine is a new computer so older ones may not be so simple, but has anyone had any of the horror stories that usually go with upgrades?

John

From the business that said there would be no more whole number releases!!!!!!!!!!!! 11 seems pretty whole numberish to me. As I understand it, it is W10 with some changes to the user interface. The last thing my fingers need is to learn yet a new set of stuff, I just hate my time being wasted by some crxtxns in MicroSoft.

I must admit that I find Windows 7 just the job for doing serious work. 

Some might say W7 is not secure, well all the W10 updates are all largely about fixing security so how can that be secure?

I'll stick to W10 for now. It does all I need. I use Classic Shell for the start-up because I prefer words to space consuming icons.  As I've been messing with computers since long before IBM manufactured their PCs I also like to set up my own file structure for data and divide my hard drive with a User drive so I know where all my data are stored. 

• Like 1

I checked in lots of places for any horror stories about W11 and didn't find any. The split screen working could be useful to me so I started the upgrade from W10 about 12.30pm yesterday.

With all the updates and restarts it took until nearly 6pm to complete. In fact I went down town for a cup of coffee with friends for a couple of hours in the afternoon and left it to its own devices.

Everything pretty much the same just different interface. A couple of updates this morning, set my old background picture, did a cache clean and disabled a couple of things in the startup menu that I'd forgotten to do and, other than that, everything is working fine. All my privacy settings on data sharing were still the same.

Machine may be a tad faster but ample for my needs.

I did note that MS give 10 days to be able to revert to W10 if not happy, after that it would need a clean install of W10, but, as others have said, apart from the time, it was a non-event so I'll stick with it.

The main "differerence " I have found is when deleting a file, I used to right click to select delete and then confirm, job done . Now it is right click, select "other options" at the bottom of the list to be taken to the old W10 list to select the delete option.Not much extra work but seems unnecessary when there was already a safegaurd in the W10 list to avoid accidently delete someting.

Otherwise happy so far.

John

• 1 year later...

My 2013 laptop with Windows 8.1 is due for replacement. I get messages from Microsoft telling me to upgrade but I’ll get a new laptop though because it’s  battery is failing and I’d like a smaller screen and SSD. The laptop takes a long time to start up and even though I’ve emptied the recycle bin, taken off old apps and reduced the start list it’s still slow. I read somewhere that Windows 12 is coming out in a year or two so starting with 11 rather than 10 would need one less upgrade. I’ll monitor this thread in case there’s anything else to know about 11. Is it true that Microsoft Op Systems since 10 have their own virus protection? My wife’s computer runs 10 and has been ok, it has SSD and starts up really fast. 

On 19/11/2021 at 19:30, RedBaron said:

From the business that said there would be no more whole number releases!!!!!!!!!!!! 11 seems pretty whole numberish to me. As I understand it, it is W10 with some changes to the user interface. The last thing my fingers need is to learn yet a new set of stuff, I just hate my time being wasted by some crxtxns in MicroSoft.

I must admit that I find Windows 7 just the job for doing serious work. 

Some might say W7 is not secure, well all the W10 updates are all largely about fixing security so how can that be secure?

Upgrade to Win 10 is still free. I was loathe to change, but find Win 10 much easier to use and useful than Win 7.

48 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

Hardware is the problem for me.  You need a fairly modern CPU- my Intel i5-666 won't cut the mustard.

Yes, you need a very recent PC to support Win11. I have a 13 year old laptop that runs Win10 but I'm unable to update to Win11. I replaced my desktop last year and it came with Win11 installed.

There are ways to get around Microsofts hardware requirements for Windows11.   https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement  Some of the elements of the TPM are not physically required, they are to promote turnover.

Not too sure why anybody wants to though. There are still plenty of people quite happily using Win7 even after it becoming unsupported years ago. Unsupported does not mean un-working.

On 14/04/2023 at 11:37, Philip Lewis 3 said:

No but it does mean security issues are't patched.

Security patches cause far more problems than they fix.... by a long way. They always have. If your outlook in life is there are malevolent hackers spending all their time trying to hack into your laptop or if you think having a new set of vulnerabilities is better than the old set then go for it - spend your cash . I prefer to obtain the best value I can from my purchases by using them until they are no longer functional. Microsoft is rich enough.

• 3 weeks later...