Unusual Model

Keith, What you describe is similar to the Duraplane Aerobat 40 (pictured, although that has a tricycle undercarriage.  There was also a Durabat Trainer has a thick flat bottom wing with dihedral.  The forward fuselage is square PVC drainpipe, the cockpit is just an additional fairing.

+592840748_DuraplaneAerobat40.jpg.eb102a08442cf5c8a06fe1217ba11616.jpg

Given that Wot 4s rarely reverse into the ground, maybe someone made a Duraplane-type fuselage and put their surviving Wot 4 bits on it?

There is also a design called a SPAD (Simple Plastic Airplane Design) website full of models made of corrugated plastic.  These were very popular in the States at one time (1990s, I think).

There is a website dedicated to models built from corrugated plastic: Spadtothebone Plans

including a Corro-Wot:  Corrowot

Possibly a good idea not to call it that if you build it though, as Chris Foss is understandably keen to protect his 'Wot' brand.

Yep, that's the site mentioned...

The plastic estate agents for sale signs, with square holes/tubes...

Iceland inshop advertising signs/sheets, paper foam paper, would be good but they will not let me have the old ones, all goes for recycling...

There is cardboard, and scrap white foam from the building site...even new stuff from b and q etc., Depron...

White foam and cereal packet cardboard for control liner wings works well and relatively strong/durable/cheap...goods white foam packaging and empty cereal packets, both free...

Edited by Rich Griff

The raw materials are free, but yes even balsa needs glue.

Cheapo PVA 

The fuel is also a cost, how much is balsa these days.

I was ususing the free raw materials to make control line planes and others in the mid 80's as where other aeromodeling I don't doubt.

Waste not want not etc ..

Ps, as far as I know no animals were hurt doing this activity.

Edited by Rich Griff

9 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

The raw materials are free, but yes even balsa needs glue.

Cheapo PVA 

The fuel is also a cost, how much is balsa these days.

I was ususing the free raw materials to make control line planes and others in the mid 80's as where other aeromodeling I don't doubt.

Waste not want not etc ..

Ps, as far as I know no animals were hurt doing this activity.

Totally off topic. I prefer to buy quality. Titebond is not cheapo PVA which is what I thought you bought. Let's not go there as we will again be repeating a recent topic.

Why do you double return your posts. is it a setting on your device?

17 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I suspect Mr Currie might have a prior claim to the "Wot" name!

5438A085-B8A6-4A2D-8B7B-74B4A054546D.jpeg.c46ec22fd7ea51e0c3e6b387062b6038.jpeg

Currie Wot (c1937)

That tail looks very DeHaviland to me except the rudder doesn't extend forwards at the top.  It's not a plane I've ever seen before.

18 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

That tail looks very DeHaviland to me except the rudder doesn't extend forwards at the top.  It's not a plane I've ever seen before.

Because the Currie Wot is a homebuilt, several builders have customised the outline to their taste. As you say, this one has distinct tones of DH about it, but the original shape is shown on the old MAP scale drawing.

I think the basic structural design of the Currie Wot was also used as the basis for the Isaac's Fury (although that may be apocryphal).

p-17166-0023677_currie-wot-line-drawing-2788.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Hi Keith, bit late to this one.

Here’s my take on the Duraplane Aerobat 40. Someone gave me an Areobat wing years ago, and I found the instructions for it on the old Tower Hobbies site, and from the pictures reverse engineered the rest. Since this picture was taken I’ve found some better aluminium channel from an old garden table, so the carbon trusses have gone.

Cheap and great fun to fly, still comes out every now and then.

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Roy Thompson said:

Hi Keith, bit late to this one.

Here’s my take on the Duraplane Aerobat 40. Someone gave me an Areobat wing years ago, and I found the instructions for it on the old Tower Hobbies site, and from the pictures reverse engineered the rest. Since this picture was taken I’ve found some better aluminium channel from an old garden table, so the carbon trusses have gone.

Cheap and great fun to fly, still comes out every now and then.

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

Looks like a Irvine 40 abc.

Steve 🤔