Sport Twin #2 - Duo FS

Nigel R

Ha! Found another job that wasn't on the list. 

Some restraints to prevent the contents of the task bay going walkabout:

20220104_222515.thumb.jpg.48b1d164f04b306aeb66df5920800e9a.jpg

And another job not on the list, getting the power switch mounted:

20220104_224635.thumb.jpg.1fd4d5f46890f19c2e6b67b50fd5bbb8.jpg

Added treblers to the wing saddle,  too.

Other jobs not on the list include the tail wheel mount, fuel proofing the tank bay, figuring out the rx install...

80% done... 80% remaining...

• Like 1

Not much to show for the last week! ☹️

Anyway. Every airplane needs some legs:

20220111_222915.thumb.jpg.5f2f276591388251af8405afb69cfca0.jpg

Those screws will need a bit of tidying up, on the inside. Cutting down in length. Maybe a small circle of ply to help take the thread. Plus I need to start sloshing some fuelproofer around in the tank area.

The gear plate is quite large - I'm planning on using the front half of the plate to attach a spreader bar, to keep the fuselages aligned and whatnot, when the wing is detached.

I also made up some small legs to go at the back:

20220110_221923.thumb.jpg.715f80fea8e5d52ba8a77c13c6533c7a.jpg

Small steps, but, at least I'm moving forwards. Work is busy at the moment, and all the rest of the family have birthdays in January!

Edited by Nigel R

• 2 weeks later...

Bit by bit...

Fuel proofing in the tank bay, some internal reinforcement, and I was happy to stick in the throttle cables and close up the bottom of the fuselage, before more fuel proofing.

20220113_225054.thumb.jpg.2cd4eddb1f723310aec97450cec54717.jpg

Time to put a cowl on them. First some lumps of thick soft sheet.

20220121_230325.thumb.jpg.2659db431ae2fe72dfd020961dc4dc34.jpg

Build up the inside corners, and fill in where the engine isn't going to go. And a bit of carving.

20220123_221006.thumb.jpg.4851e8a8ceaf3c13d4a40a572b97f6b1.jpg

Looks very untidy at this point, particularly around the edges of the big engine access hole, but it is still short a couple of bits of block to allow me to make it look nicer, and of course final shaping is yet to be done. Another evening of carve / sand should do it, I think.

It's turned out very tight around the engine / engine mount / throttle. I probably could have drawn the nose 1/4" taller which would have given a tickle more clearance. Or, making the front deck rounded over might have given that extra space. Never mind. The engines fit (just).

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1

Got a bit more time in with the sanding blocks.

Smoother...

20220124_221909.thumb.jpg.b7c1ad3db9429979c7e87ed224578d20.jpg

Baby's bum...

20220125_115054.thumb.jpg.0b29b76cad3be20aeacf4e2a3f156d1c.jpg

Need to fettle that cutout to make it fit around needle valve and so forth.

Could use more clearance around the prop driver, too.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1

On the fuselage jobs, I finished off the tail end charlies.

Made the fin support blocks:

20220128_220802.jpg

Sanded the front deck slab - rounded off a bit more - and cleaned up the resultant change in shaping / sanding on the cowling, then sort of kind of partly fit one of the canopies to see how that was shaping up:

20220128_220733.jpg

Lines from the side have come out pretty good, I think, all seems to flow quite nicely:

20220128_220749.jpg

Back to the flying surfaces now. I have some ailerons to sort out and some wing panels to join up.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Gosh, been a month since posting an update! Been a busy month at work and we've had the dreaded covid isolation with the associated home schooling(which finished about two days before covid isolation stopped being a thing). Despite that, I've made a little headway, with some of the last jobs on the woodwork being wrapped up now.

Final (he says) fuselage job - I bent up several tail wheels, then decided I couldn't be bothered with dealing with connecting two of them to the rudders, and then replaced them with some really bare bones simple tailskids:

20220131_221807.jpg

I made the controls at the tail end, and hinged them. They still need a bit of shaping at the tips. These have my usual overengineered hard points for the control horns (ply/balsa/ply sandwich, scarfed to a reasonably solid LE strip), and in the case of the elevator there are two of them, not for two control horns but to providing two 'joiners' where the rudder cutout has made a big hole:

20220216_124013.jpg

20220216_123953.jpg

Ailerons cut off and wings are joined:

20220306_222142.jpg

That is suddenly starting to feel quite big and unwieldy in my small workshop area.

And lastly these gave me a little trouble. As is customary, I made two right hand torque rods, and then had to spend ages bending one round to form the left hand rod ? :

20220306_222111.jpg

Next, wing tips and shaping, and aileron servos.

Then for some fun rigging the thing together.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1

Ailerons hinged, beveled, electronic bits that move added to the wing:

20220311_142359.thumb.jpg.d4669e7341638cc1c4194d13b0d0ad30.jpg

Wingtips added and shaped, tail tips shaped, some shape put into the fuselage underside.

Then I made engine noises while it sat on the bench for 5 minutes:

20220312_214425.thumb.jpg.b4f68f717ab78e57b203d2065e5f3e6a.jpg

Time now for a little more fuelproofer inside the cowls, some filler in any dings and scrapes, and then covering.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 3

Hi, Hope you don't mind me asking, but how close are the fuselages, just my Extra Slim Twin is quite close and I get an interaction between the props from a sound perspective...doesn't effect vertical performance though. Just wondering if the turbulent air over the elevator would cause issues especially at close to stall?

Great looking model there ?

Chris, thank you ?

Prop to prop gap is just under 14". Planning on using 10"x8" props, which gives near 4" gap.

I suppose twins always have a degree of odd interactions with noise and airflow near the prop tips - even a single fuselage type has the fuselage side close up to the prop tips.

I guess if it all goes complete pear shaped at noise check time I can go electric (perish the thought).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice. 

I am still mulling over making a square dh comet out of a galaxy mystic as my converted pulse 125 is starting to fall to bits. I have also been toying with stealing the unstarted pilot twin ace from my dad and slapping my 2 saito 45 special's in that along with a few mods like retracts and flaps. 

So many ideas, so little space ?

Twin Ace is a nice design - nearly went that route for the previous twin. Pilot did another design called Shooting Star which is virtually a single engine version that has been on the bucket list for a while.

A kit bash twin Mystic (or Phoenix, I guess) would be fun. 70s or 80s?

I had a twin ace before. It was a bit of a wreck and i patched it back together in my mid teens as my first multi engine model with some clapped out 25fp's in it. It taught me a lot about multi engine flying, engine tuning and a variety of other things so i have fond memories of it. 

Either of the galaxy models would be a great kitbash and i would probably go twin 80's for maximum go fast ? 

• 1 month later...

Flight report...

Just got back from noise test and maiden flight. Overall - really happy!

Noise test = pass 🍾

Front on, prop reading, was highest, at 81dB, so, quite close, but not over, so that's ok. Right side next highest at 78dB. The other two were lower. Interestingly (or not, maybe) the exhaust was the lowest. RPM was 10k dead on, both sides, APC 10x8.

Maiden flight = pass 🍾

Short and sweet to shakedown the airframe as much as anything else. Take off was easy, dab of right rudder to correct the swing and she was airbourne in short order. I stayed up for just a few circuits - all drama free and performed nicely. Nothing even out of trim! Did several low passes to gauge landing and how she bleeds off speed, then brought it in for a fuss free arrival.

Before the flight, I was wondering, with it being quite slick, she would slow down for landing, but the test flight showed that even in very calm conditions she will be easy to bring in. Rate of descent is quite controllable with a tickle of throttle. Overall she seems well behaved.

After flight checks = fail 😡

The starboard engine install has developed a leak in the carb fuel line, between completing the ground runs to set up throttles / idles (where it was all fine and dandy) and the end of first flight. I'm going to have to pull the tank and check / fix the plumbing. I could see bubbles being drawn up the tube to the carb while it was running. And the cowling was very messy, as was the fuselage underside just rear of the cowl, a lot of mess was making its way through the oil drain hole. Suggests to me the line is punctured outside of the tank, but getting a replacement length of tube in there will be a tank out job.

After I've fixed the tank I'll be back to start checking out aerobatic capabilities.

Lastly. She sounds brilliant in flight - you just can't beat a twin for presence.