Stabilisation and flaps.

As Denis said, I would anticipate the stabilizer being able to compensate for flap deflection. Spot the word anticipate.

Having said that I was flying in some gusty winds with some screening trees not too far away and the stabilizer was definitely struggling to keep the plane level.

I suspect that there is a limit to how far the stabilization will recover the planes attitude, not sure if that is a stabilization limit or a limit on the deflections the stabilizer can apply. FYI mine is a FrSky unit

44 minutes ago, Brian Dorricott 1 said:

If you are flying with stabilisation on either Frsky or AS3X etc would you expect the application of flaps to be compensated for by electronics ?  I have never tried it myself but wondered if it did compensate for a sudden pitch up with the application of flaps - anyone know for sure ? 

Depends upon what setting the stabiliser is set to. If set to correct for gusts then there will only be a momentary correction when flaps are applied, if set to fly the model straight and level when the sticks are released then the stabiliser should fly the model level all the time the flaps are down. I just mix a bit of elevator movement into the flap control to achieve the same result.

IMHO the limit that stabilization can remain effective is base on a number of factors, speed of the servo, control surface area, control response of the system and air flow over the control surface.

It will only be able to effectively control the model if the servos are fast enough, control surfaces large enough and the control is fast enough to be able to do something, with enough air speed.

I tried stabilization in a flying wing and it did very little because the servos were slow and control surface area small in proportion to the wing area + it didn't have a rudder so couldn't control yaw at all. This became very apparent as air speed reduced which was when I wanted it to be effective. Lastly the control system can be made more responsive, but this can become unstable causing unwanted oscillations of control surfaces (bad news at high air speed!).

So if you have small flaps and they don't change position far then the stabilization will cope, where as if you are at the point of stall and you deploy barn door flaps at 90 degrees then it will do what it can, but it can't do the impossible!

PS - one of the club members had a Carbon Cub with geofencing and stabilization....if it encountered the geofence then it would go to full throttle and return to its home location and circle why? because at full throttle it gives the stabilization the best chance of maintaining control before the owner retakes control ?

I think I'll go for flap with elevator compensation and a delay , leave the stabisation to do what it does best on a gusty day . I always go for belt and braces on stabilisation a switch for off and a pot for the amount of gain but never use the other setting ( can't remember the name) as that's too intrusive and makes it unflyable . On my gliders I tend to use the stabisation only to launch and keep the wings level while I get my hands back on the sticks after that unless it's very windy I leave it off . Thanks for replies all .