Rudder / Elevator throws for a beginner

Terry Plumridge 1

6 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Was there no mention in the instructions of how much to set ?

Without knowing the size [ 40 on wing may be inch's ] of your model or even what it is I will hazard a guess at 10mm each way for elevator and 15mm for rudder. 

Sounds like a good start, you may want to dd some expo to be on the safe side. If this is your first RC model then the person teaching you to fly should be able to give better advice after the first flight.

If the Tx has rate switches then it's normal to put the stated amount of throw when in Low Rate position and a bit more when in High Rate.   Which way the switch points for High and which is Low seems different to different pilots!   So choose whatever your instructor thinks is normal switch position for High Rates.   

When you have found the ideal amount of movement after flying the model a few times then it's a good idea to make the throws the same whatever the rate switch position.   Saves one possible error by using high or low rates by mistake   (e.g. knocking the switch by mistake or changing models )

It's worth saying that it's normal to put rudder on the right stick if the model does NOT have ailerons.  If the model has ailerons then the ailerons would be on the right stick and the rudder then goes on left stick.     That applies whether you fly Mode 1 or Mode 2.      

16 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Was there no mention in the instructions of how much to set ?

Without knowing the size [ 40 on wing may be inch's ] of your model or even what it is I will hazard a guess at 10mm each way for elevator and 15mm for rudder. 

Thanks for the advice. Nothing in the instructions. Wingspan is 1190 mm ( 46.85") don't know where the 40 comes from. It is an Aeronaut Lilliental 40.

16 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Sounds like a good start, you may want to dd some expo to be on the safe side. If this is your first RC model then the person teaching you to fly should be able to give better advice after the first flight.

No teacher, going it alone, probably going to spend the winter on a simulator. 

I was a go it alone learner many moons ago, it was the only choice. I would agree with those who say join a club or find an instructor for best chance of success but if not available the type you have chosen looks a good one.

Simulators help a lot but I would also recommend using using free flight methods of setting up a model to start like doing just gliding flights over long grass [ crash protection] in calm conditions to start then longer flights down a bit of a slope to get the feel of what the controls do. Over controlling is common early on which is why I gave the recommended throws.

In my early flights with similar design model [ diesel engine though ] when getting out of sync with the model I would just leave it sort itself out and land on its own.  Good luck. John 8

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Terry Plumridge 1 said:

No teacher, going it alone, probably going to spend the winter on a simulator. 

You have picked a reasonable model to start on, but please make sure someone with some experience checks it over and test flies it for you - the effort spent doing this WILL be paid back by avoid rebuilds/repairs. Also don't forget you need to understand the legal reqirements associated with flying before you go out and fly here in the UK, though being <250g that should be minimal in your case - click here for more info from the BMFA (who you should definitely consider joining).

• Like 1