Where do you buy your Lipo batteries ?

Paul Turner 2

I now buy LiPos only from 4-Max.

Your parameter "Reasonably decent budget" is quite a complex matter. 

I check the internal resistance of all my LiPo cells several times a year. Even quite a small difference in resistance per cell is a prophecy of coming end of useful LiPo life.

4-Max LiPos have for me given a better consistency of IR than any other make.

In addition from 4-Max one gets great service, prompt action and lots of good advice.

Gliders UK has been my lipo supplier of choice for years - their G-Power packs are excellent. However their stock situation for the past year has been bad. As a result I've been trying HRB packs from Amazon and they are working out okay - well made packs, with some good deals and hassle free delivery.

Never had an issue with any HK Lipos and TBH I suspect that many of the other brands of Lipos that are sourced from some domestic suppliers are similar items merely just badged up with a logo and hiked in price. Comfortingly expensive and all that. Certainly some packs are tested and selected from the mainstream production and then sold as higher performance items, but how much more superior they are versus the extra cost for the average sport flyer, I wouldn't like to say.

BTW, have a look on catch up at a recent 'Dispatches' programme entitled The truth about electric cars.......some interesting stuff about the performance claims about EV batteries.

• Like 1

I recently purchase four lipos form CNHL as part of a club order to get free postage (over $159).

I did some price comparisons:

CNHL: £114

HK EU: £180

4 MAX: £302

As Cuban 8 says, they probably all come from the same place and are just re-badged.

At least as good as Turnigy, no puffing up, and no import tax sillyness.

Remember ASP /SC anybody?

It depends.

For FW power using 3 or 4s, I always bought from 4-Max or Overlander.

For very lightweight thermal soarers like DLGs and bungee-launched 2mRES, I've always used 1s Nanotechs from HK.

For my latest foray into electric-launched thermal soarers using 3s batteries, I've gone for Overlanders from here and 3s Hackers from Germany.

The key thing for me is that in all cases none of my LiPos have ever failed or become doddery - simply because I almost never run them below about 35% remaining capacity, and always return them to storage voltage after use (or if not used).  So I think it's more a matter of care and good housekeeping really - which more than offsets the cost of buying relatively expensive ones in the first place.

• Like 1