1916 Blackburn Triplane Zeppelin Hunter Flies well, 1/6th scale - October 2021 RCME

Jon Harper

Since snow has arrived here, this is the last flight video and flight photos of the season!   Time to break out the skis!

This old crate is a dreamboat to fly.   So easy it should be a trainer.  Going to miss flying it until spring.  Video and pics by my friend Chuck, some pics by Hal.

Jon

last flight of the season vid link

Edited by Jon Harper

Thanks also to RCM&E for printing the Blackburn Zeppelin Hunter article in the October 2021 issue.  I really learn a lot from other peoples build articles.  Such skilled craftsmen.   Great magazine.   We are lucky to have it.

Edited by Jon Harper
  • Like 2

If some one is interested in trying to scratch build one of these, attached are my “design” drawing scribbles I used to build it.  Yes they are messy but it is most of what you need to know how to build it.   I think you will need high intermediate to craftsman building skills.   If you have built 4 larger balsa kits you probably have the skills to do this.

First I enlarged the 3 view below to the scale I wanted.   Then figured out the structure for the wing and fuselage pod.  The last photo is the drawing where I drew out the fuselage former profiles.

If you do try to build it you can follow my build thread on RCG.   I did have to fix some mistakes here and there along the way.

Finding the right size carbon fibre tubes for the fuselage booms is critical.   If you can’t find those, I don’t think anything else would be light and strong enough not to break or bend on takeoff and landing.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3318791-Research-Build-of-1916-Blackburn-Triplane-Zeppelin-Hunter-FLIES

42ED3615-1201-4C2C-B65A-17A6A8B03CD3.jpeg

CF13E366-AE6E-4239-8031-76D99FE74DC3.jpeg

FD20622D-F407-4999-B385-6D67C897C0A0.jpeg

FE6E5222-32B1-42EC-97EB-B26976DD3436.jpeg

47B76F34-5120-4C22-A75D-8048FF2954AF.jpeg

Edited by Jon Harper