Bin fodder or repairable sunbird

Thoughts on repairing the sunbird, bought second hand and suffered a wiring harness failure on maiden flight, spiraled down into the chalk pretty hard, fuse is a bit cracked up in the nose and obviously in 2 prices, tail is mint, hinges in the wing are still fine somehow but there is some stress signs on the right wing root, and the left has split the joiner box. It owes me nothing as the servos now live on in another glider and are still perfect so wrecking the wreckage may provide a good learning experience. Shame though as I wanted one of these for ages!

THis is the glass only version and I do not fly DS as I do not have a ds sight within traveling distance

Cheers all

Tom

IMG_20190101_190248.thumb.jpg.0c34b1da148fe324ad39776996fb0392.jpg

The fuz shouldn't be any problem.You will need to know what type resin is used for a good repair , epoxy or polyester then use the same type for the repair. Keep it light and only use enough epoxt to wet the glass enough to adhere to the repair area . cosmetic finishing can be made with a two pack filler like Ronseal woodfill . sets very quik , sands very easily and is lighter than car filler .

I would start on the fuz by making a light glass fiber  cone joiner  long enough to bridghe a couple of inches either side of the break .  Make from some glass cloth as  Cloth is stronger and easier to use in these small repiars . Once hard this  can then be slid down the front half making a tight fit and fixed with appropriate resin. When set the rear half can be aligned and fitted to the protruding part of the cone .  Any cracks or tears in the fuz can be aligned and tacked with cyano then backed up with some glass cloth and resin .

Not sure about that wing though ! Perhaps worth checking first as it looka as though the wing tube might have been torn loose . I would open it up if possible to check on damage and if worth doing.

The  fuz  on model below a , Kyosh Illusion  was smashed really badly . Wing was replaced with a foam veneered job and fuz repaired as described above . I did go over the ypop with the paint though and used  two pack automotive adding a little bit of weight ? .

005.JPG

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most appreciated, I have done a few repairs on my Banana but restricted to wing leading edge damage, I am tempted to bond the wing joiner into the joiner box on the severely damaged wing once it's been opened up a bit to preserve strength. I believe it may be an epoxy fuse but I'll be able to tell more when I open it up with a Dremel, I have some tapered carbon tube to do the fuse break just need to figure out how to get in the tail to redo the control rods as being carbon have snapped along with the tail. There is very minimal space bag there to work