CAA Registrations

Cuban8

Just going through the email from BMFA regarding the revised procedures for next year's renewals.....no problems.......but.......

I see that CAA registrations paid via the BMFA must be made no earlier than 28 days before their expiry date. I have around 90 members' renewals to deal with who all paid their CAA via the club at BMFA renewal time the last year - hence 85 all have the same expiry date of within a few days of the end of February '22. No problem I can put them through in one separate batch in mid Feb after I get all the BMFA memberships through in early January. The rest are members who joined later in the year and have different expiry dates throughout the summer. Is there any way to bring these members CAA's in line with the rest of the club so I can renew everyone in a single batch at the end of the year?

Edited by Cuban8

Currently no.

CAA registration is handled like TV, driving and all other licenses and are dependent on their date of issue.

More work for the unpaid tax collectors I'm afraid.

Whether you can set up an annual payment to the club by members I'm not sure, but the payment dates will remain unchanged per individual.

The BMFA can't do anything other than what they are already doing, as they are also acting as unpaid collectors.

I'm not even sure that the money goes direct to the CAA, or if it goes into the revenue "pot" and has to be reclaimed by them.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Unfortunately not, 

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Just going through the email from BMFA regarding the revised procedures for next year's renewals.....no problems.......but.......

I see that CAA registrations paid via the BMFA must be made no earlier than 28 days before their expiry date. I have around 90 members' renewals to deal with who all paid their CAA via the club at BMFA renewal time the last year - hence 85 all have the same expiry date of within a few days of the end of February '22. No problem I can put them through in one separate batch in mid Feb after I get all the BMFA memberships through in early January. The rest are members who joined later in the year and have different expiry dates throughout the summer. Is there any way to bring these members CAA's in line with the rest of the club so I can renew everyone in a single batch at the end of the year?

At the moment it isn't possible. We have asked on a number of occasions but I don't think its something that will change unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

The rest are members who joined later in the year and have different expiry dates throughout the summer. Is there any way to bring these members CAA's in line with the rest of the club so I can renew everyone in a single batch at the end of the year?

Why not ask them to renew there own CAA via the BMFA ? membership secs usually have enough problems chasing etc without doing the work of the CAA tax collectors !

3 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Sort of wishing that I'd kept my country member status and therefore able to just renew at the appropriate time - it took ages for my CAA to come through last year, so it's not due until February.

None done through the BMFA are due until February, the CAA hadn't got their systems up and running in time. However there is nothing to stop you logging in and renewing it yourself or doing your BMFA membership yourself through the portal. Its nothing to do with being a country member.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the replies.

As I said before, only a handful of our 90 members  are out of step with the February CAA renewal so it's not that much of a problem and I can put the main group through in a later batch closer to the February expiry date. Those  who are out of step because they joined later in the year and also paid via the club I'll renew  via the portal and see how it goes. Perhaps the CAA will eventually change to an annual January to January registration  year - it's hardly a big deal one would have thought to do it that way instead of having payments coming in all over the place throughout the year , even if it's just for members of BMFA and others who's membership year will tend to run from Jan to Jan.

We like to provide a service where members  pay all their annual dues via the club - it keeps it simple and prevents us having to chase members who for whatever reason forget to pay. Membership renewals are all complete within a few weeks after the New Year period......done and dusted!

We're all busy with other distractions and sometimes things do get put off and forgotten by mistake. It's something that has worked very well for us and has reduced the admin workload for the last couple of decades - Club membership and BMFA payments via bank transfer and admin paperwork online via the portal has also been a vast improvement and all done on your laptop without reams of paperwork all over the place.

I don't miss the pages of the sticky barcode labels that we had to contend with and had to post off to BMFA with a cheque especially when our club membership was considerably more than it is now.

Edited by Cuban8

4 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I'm not directly involved with membership renewal but don't membership secs. just send off the renewals with the optional payment for the CAA element and then the BMFA deal with them in bulk at renewal time i.e. within the 28 day window?

That would appear to be the obvious thing to do. It's surely not beyond the wit of man to sort something out. I don't mind if BMFA earn a bit of interest in the time they hold my money. I'd much prefer to just pay up once a year rather than having to mess about.

3 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:
3 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I'm not directly involved with membership renewal but don't membership secs. just send off the renewals with the optional payment for the CAA element and then the BMFA deal with them in bulk at renewal time i.e. within the 28 day window?

That would appear to be the obvious thing to do. It's surely not beyond the wit of man to sort something out. I don't mind if BMFA earn a bit of interest in the time they hold my money. I'd much prefer to just pay up once a year rather than having to mess about.

Yes that is exactly what happened last year, but this time the GoMembership system (the BMFA online membership portal) appears to be showing the CAA registrations as not being renewable for 2 months, whilst BMFA memberships are shown as renewable from in two days time (ie from December 1st). This means that the option to renew them won't be available to membership secretaries until the end of January.

Something has changed with this since the last year's renewals, as then I processed my first batch of renewals for both memberships and CAA registrations on 6th December. Hopefully the BMFA will be able to amend this so that it works just like it did last year.

Brian.

55 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Something has changed with this since the last year's renewals, as then I processed my first batch of renewals for both memberships and CAA registrations on 6th December. Hopefully the BMFA will be able to amend this so that it works just like it did last year.

Brian.

What has changed is the system the CAA introduced in February last year for the registration uploads will not accept renewals longer than 28 days in advance of their expiry. Unfortunately the CAA have not been able to alter their systems to allow this to change.

1 hour ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

What has changed is the system the CAA introduced in February last year for the registration uploads will not accept renewals longer than 28 days in advance of their expiry. Unfortunately the CAA have not been able to alter their systems to allow this to change.

The question is whether the payments can be made to the BMFA at membership renewal for later processing when the 28 day window opens?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Andy, do you really mean last year (2020)? This year's CAA renewals (for 2021) were allowed in December 2020 along with membership renewals. Perhaps you did mean this year which does then make sense.

18 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

The question is whether the payments can be made to the BMFA at membership renewal for later processing when the 28 day window opens?

Yes exactly. The payment window on the BMFA's membership system could be longer than 28 days and the BMFA then process as Martin suggests.

Brian.

• Like 1

We have been working on this issue. Not straight forward, however, we have setup a method where you will be able to submit CAA registration renewals further in advance than the 28 days. The window will be 90 days initially, which should bring in the bulk of renewals which are due in February. 

We will be keeping the process under review going forward. An email is going out to club secretaries today to inform them.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

We have been working on this issue. Not straight forward, however, we have setup a method where you will be able to submit CAA registration renewals further in advance than the 28 days. The window will be 90 days initially, which should bring in the bulk of renewals which are due in February.

Excellent! Thank you Andy, that will be a great help. Thanks for sorting it out.

Brian.

Andy

I've just renewed. I added CAA reg. Previously I did the CAA myself, and it just ran out, mid November.

It seems that the CAA reg now shows 31/01/2023 as the renewal date.

As I understand that CAA reg is a year long period, does this mean I'm not covered until February?

28 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Andy

I've just renewed. I added CAA reg. Previously I did the CAA myself, and it just ran out, mid November.

It seems that the CAA reg now shows 31/01/2023 as the renewal date.

As I understand that CAA reg is a year long period, does this mean I'm not covered until February?

No, you will find when the renewal is completed the expiry date will be correct.