Sillhouette Cameo 4

PatMc

I use my Silhouette Cameo 3 for making vinyl decals and paint masks. I purchased the extra feed roller for my machine, which, I believe, is built-in on the Cameo 4.

The only other upgrade I went for is to the software. I think it cost all of £29 for a lifetime license for Silhouette Studio Designer Edition!!

Martin.

Edited by Martin Gay
  • Like 1

Personally I'd be inclined to go for one of the less expensive options, as you'll need to get to the stage of using the kit for a while before seeing what you need - I'd think it worthwhile to have a spare blade and holder and a spare cutting mat, I haven't used a carrier sheet at all- it's a bit messier doing it the way I do with masking tape. Spatulas and pickers you might well have something suitable anyway in your modelling tools - the tip of a 10a scalpel blade is about the only tool I use.

The cost for vinyl seems expensive in the offer, for just a small sheet - I prefer matt vinyl for markings and have found an excellent supplier on eBay which does 5m rolls for about a tenner. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191585214109

• Like 1

I have a Cameo 3. It does not have a feed roller, and I don't miss it. I just leave the vinyl roll in front of the Cameo, and it sorts itself.

About the "auto blade", don't bother if it does not come with the deal. It works, but the concert of clacks it needs to get to the setting as dictated from the software is quite annoying. I don't use it and set the blade manually with the standard blade holder.

As for the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, you have to decide if it's worth the extra cost. I decided not to take it, the only attraction would have been the extended import formats, but the standard software accepts .dxf files which can be exported from the majority of cad software ( I use Rhinoceros to create my cutting patterns).

Cheers,

Max. 

Edited by Max Z
  • Like 1

I have a cameo 3 that I bought as a bundle form MDP supplies (really good service)....

MDP Supplies Cameo 4

It came with everything I needed (cutting mat, auto blade, squeegie, transfer tape, etc) and I got 20 or so sheets of normal vinyl and a smaller selection of heat transfer vinyl.  The latter I have used on T-shirts etc with the kids.  The latter for loads of different things.  I also run solatrim through it.  I use cutting mat a lot but not all the time.  Role of transfer tape is essential.   I only have the free software but it does everything I need including creating outlines from JPEGS.

• Like 1

My experience is just like Max Z, above.  Rolls can feed in without a holder, and the standard free software does everything I want, which often involves tracing an outline from an imported picture in one of the common formats (.jpg .bmp etc.) and editing it.

I do use the cutting mat quite regularly as it allows me to use small offcuts of vinyl that are too small to feed in through the rollers.  I find it also makes loading the media a little bit easier because of its rigidity.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone who replied, great info & advice. ?

It seems that the deals I found initially did seem a bit expensive for what was in them so I've ordered from MDP given in Andy C's link.

I'll probably be posting again in the near future picking brains on how to use it. ?

• Like 1