Updated Chilli Breeze and Rival designs update

Delks

The updated Chilli Breeze and Rival designs are finally under way and, although a bit later than expected, we have visible progress! These will both be for 3/4s and the motors are the Hacker A30-10 XL 900kv and the Airtek hobbies 3548 900kv for props in the 12x6 - 14x7 range. The first of the models is the Rival E but the wing construction is shared by both models. Building for lightness whilst retaining structural integrity is a bit of a balancing act but I don't anticipate any problems in that regard but the wing construction, although very enjoyable, is time consuming and care needs to be taken. The new Rival E will have a more extrovert character than its big brother and have a broader appeal. I have been using the "new" balsa supplies from SLEC and although it appears to be expensive it is good quality and I have enjoyed working with it.    

wing 6 low.jpg

wing 7 low res.jpg

Wing progress em.jpg

• Like 1

Delks,  I had assumed that those holes were for aileron servo wires and perhaps paper tubes, however when I looked for a wing joiner I wondered if perhaps they are for a carbon tube joiner.........

I like the built up fairly large ailerons.

Two interesting designs - I hope we see them in RCME.

Hi Kc 

Thanks for the interest. The holes in the ribs are in fact for a paper tube for the servo leads - I will install the tubes just before joining the wings (and cutting a hole in the root rib which I somehow forgot!). Both designs will be around 50" span and if things go according to plan the designs will be published in RCM&E. I also have in mind larger versions of both designs for 5s or 6s.

• Like 2

Hi Delks

Following with interest as I've recently completed an electrified Rival. Thank you for designing a great model, I really enjoyed the build. I made some modifications like a battery hatch, rear mounted rudder and aileron servos and wing mounted flap and aileron servos, but it is built virtually to plan and of course flies like a dream.

Keep up the good work.

Phil

Hi Kc

Mine is 55" span weighing in at 4.5lb using an AXI 4120/14, Turnigy 4s 3000mA Lipo, APCe 13x8 prop, 60A HK esc. Timer set for 8 minutes will easily do 10 minutes maybe more. Covered in laminating film then tissue on top applied with water based varnish. Since the photo was taken I moved the rudder and elevator servos to the rear as it was nose heavy.

Rival.jpg

Edited by Outrunner
more information given
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Oh crikey I am looking forward to the updated Chilli Breeze in particular. Thanks Mike, for updating a classic design - I will by flying my old and repeatedly repaired one at the weekend, and was just thinking that it was about time I built a new one. ?  

Edited by Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1
Grammar