Another daft lipo connection question

Rich Griff

Having just checked on 4max, nearly all lipos on there come without a main power wires connection pre fitted, same for the ESC's as far as I can tell.

The positive wire convention has been made clear for me, thanks Andy.

The xt connector block, the more insulated female pins, are for the battery, and the less insulated/more exposed male pins are for the ESC ?

I know the male pin goes into the female "hole" etc...

Is there a convention for which part of the xt connector is for battery  ( more insulated female ), or do you just take your pick ?

Thanks...

Rich, I am afraid that you are mistaken about 4 Max batteries (I have used them for many years). They state:-

All batteries are supplied with JST-XH balance connectors but no connectors are supplied on the main power cables except for the small capacity batteries marked with a *. (my underlining)

The batteries come without connectors fitted on the power wires....

I am pretty sure it is the same for the most of their ESCs apart from a few, which are noted in their listings as having power and/or motor connectors fitted.

I thought that I should point this out to avoid disappointment (I have no connection with 4Max apart from being a happy customer).  

Thanks for all the replies, common sense rules, sugar, that's a whole world full of debate.

I did say nearly all batteries.....

Anyways, even with a magnifying glass I missed the + and minus !!

My long range eyesight is good though.

Tooo cold down the shed now so soldering fun tomorrow.

Do you guys drill a suitable size hole in the deans connectors soldering tabs ?

Edited by Rich Griff

27 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

No. Stopped using deans connectors as they can break and overheat causing a fire. Just stick with the yellow plugs and sockets pictured above and forget Dean's plugs. Deans plugs weren't meant or designed to be continually connected and disconected.

I am no big fan of Deans (they do lose their "spring" over time), but if you are overheating any connector then you didn't choose it appropriately for the application. I no longer use Deans - XT30 and 60 are my preferred choices, with EX5 on the big 6S packs - but I did use (genuine article) Deans connectors for ~8 years and never had an issue with overheating. However was always careful to use them within their limits (I never went beyond 4S or about 40A peak).

Edited by MattyB

I think they are meant to be connected and disconnected, after all they were purpose designed for RC use, no?

I use Deans, much as MattyB states, proper Deans with currents of up to 40A with no issues. I'm not changing away from them any time soon, but equally, if I were buying from scratch I would use XT60, they're a shrouded bullet connection and just a bit better all round.

Whilst I agree that XT30 and 60 are easier to take apart and to solder my only concern is that the spring elements of the bullet actually carry the amps. From a purely technical point of view in a Deans the spring only presses the blades together, the amps flow through the thick blades.

Now whether the actual contact area of the two blade surfaces is more or less than the 4 spring tongues of the bullet is an open question, particularly if the body of the Deans is distorted in any way by the heat from the soldering or by use.

In my own experience it is the solder joint to the wire that is the more likely to fail either through poor soldering or fatigue in the wire than the connector itself.

Just an observation.

Edited by Simon Chaddock

I took George's advice about deans connectors for the lipo battery and esc, xt connections will be in the plane.

He suggested chopping off the he deans connectors for the charger leads, but what about any warranty issuses with the charger should they arise ?

So I am keeping the deans connectors for the charger leads.

I am making 2 charger leads that will plug into the oe deans connector from the charger, then terminate for nicad racing pack tamiya connector, and the other terminating in an xt for the lipo.

Otherwise it means changing 6 d and for 6 xt sets.

Do you guys drill a suitable hole in the solder tag for the wire to pass thru and solder ?

I have heat shrink and "proper" solder, a hot iron and means for a safe heat sink. So no overheated plugs, batteries, wires, ESC and NO short circuit !

There are many videos online showing the optimal way to solder Deans connectors. There's no need for any holes to be drilled in the blades. Some people drill a hole in the plug itself to us a pair of circlip pliers or similar to get the plugs apart. I tried Deans for a short time but never really got on to them and reverted to my preferred 4mm bullet connectors, which have always performed perfectly and have a nice slim form factor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel R said:

I think they are meant to be connected and disconnected, after all they were purpose designed for RC use, no?

I use Deans, much as MattyB states, proper Deans with currents of up to 40A with no issues. I'm not changing away from them any time soon, but equally, if I were buying from scratch I would use XT60, they're a shrouded bullet connection and just a bit better all round.

Deans connectors were designed originally for pcb connections and not for our model use . As in many cases we modelers use whatever is usable at the time. Re MattyB comments about careful use and correct choice. I am careful however on one occasion I plugged a battery in , using Deans conndctors and all felt fine. I gave the motor a bit of a burst and noticed a little smoke from the plug. Unplugging the battery revealed a spring ( the silver spring blades alongside the connectors blade) had snapped off.and even in that short time the plug became very hot. Be warned.