Marutaka project Black Widow pt 2

Eric Robson

Following Kevin's great build of the Black Widow to this stage I am finishing it off. at this point I have covered the flaps and inner wing s with lam. film and fitted the flaps. I have also fitted the elevator servos. Kevin already had the wiring in so not a lot to do. The main fuselage is mainly covered with ABS mouldings these take some time to cut and fit. next stage is to fit the retracts, I am using electric, as these were not available when the original plan was drawn some mods will be needed.   

DSC_1042[2507].JPG

DSC_1041[2509].JPG

• Like 2

One thing has been puzzling me, how to mount the electric retracts without fitting 1" blocks onto the 3/8" ply plates already fitted. then I remember some  flat plastic plates came with some retracts I had ordered for another model. I could not think of a use for them but kept them anyway, they had 4 holes which matched the tapped holes on the top face of the retract unit. fitting them on I did not like the idea of the unit being held on by 4 2mm screws so I turned some spacers from ali. tube, the whole unit will be held on by 4 wood screws. Just got to sort out the legs now. 

DSC_1047[2516].JPG

DSC_1048[2522].JPG

DSC_1046[2517].JPG

Up on it's legs now, need to order some main wheels. The nose wheel is the right size but may have to be reduced as it catches  when retracting, it is 6mm back from where it should be but it would need modification to the front end to move it forward. It was drawn for mechanical retracts.

DSC_1051[2525].JPG

• Like 2

Trial fitting up, all the ABS parts fitted, started covering the booms in lam film I could not get the curves at the fin correct so now its going to be brown paper. The wings will be lam film covered. The twin booms are very awkward to cover, it's a bit like holding a twin neck guitar.

DSC_1057[2536].JPG

DSC_1058[2533].JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

After masking the canopies ready for painting on the last day of the mild weather it started raining so I left it till the morning when the rain had turned to snow. It looks like it will be a while before they will see paint. 

Despite the long nose which is a thin ABS moulding the c of g is going to be a problem to achieve, there is not enough  room in the nose for the batteries, they will go in the cockpit but that will mean no detail, still they won't be seen once in the air and balance is the priority. The motors I had in mind may not be powerful enough as the weight is creeping up to between 11 and 12 pound so I will have to see what I can fit in as the space is limited in the nacelles at the moment but moving the batteries to the centre will give me more space in the nacelles but I would have to move the bulkhead further back.

DSC_1090[2706].JPG

• 2 months later...

Thanks Richard, 

This was the maiden flight taken on a mobile phone, I can't transfer video's with my laptop just photos so I have to Email them to someone who can load them.

It is almost ready to fly again just the nose cone to cut to size and fit and the retracts to go back on the find out what caused the spin. 

• Like 1

In view of your previous experience are you intending to fly the Black Widow before spending time repairing the paintwork etc?  It's certainly what I'd do but I'm not such an accomplished modeller.   It's looking almost as good as new.  It looked terminal earlier but, as Ron Gray said, t'was no more than a scratch ?

Hi Geoff, 

Black Widow painted outside yesterday in warm sun, half an hour later it was snowing. Good job it was quick drying paint. Having problems with my lap top, I have all the pictures but when I try to send them to the forum it says there is nothing in the files.

That's good to know, Eric. As regards the photos, can't you just drag them from your file in Explorer onto the forum page?  That's what I do now. 

I've just taken this picture of a cast aluminium Mosquito I've had for about 70 years.  It's an unfettled casting that my Dad acquired during WW2 IIRC. Not sure what it was for. The only way it'll fly is if I drop it from the bedroom window ?   It's about 8.5" ws.

702950539_CastAlMosquito.thumb.JPG.fa932698e8d592a746c8812f3d36959c.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Eric, sorry to read about the crash, but at least it flew with less trauma tha my Ta154. Just out of interest was the flat spin pancake like or more tip stall and wing drop? I ask as I an still trying to deduce why my Focke spun in. Apologies as I have nit read through, but do you knoe your wing loading, span and AUW?

Best of luck and all I can suggest is keep the speed up!  

Hi Chris,

it felt more like loss of power on one motor, I had made a change to the throttle cut switch from D to A,  though the TX showed A the throttle cut still was on D. The 2 previous flights were good the 2nd flight after it was trimmed was uneventful and it was a pleasure to fly